Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2006, 01:16 AM

Default $10/20 stud/8 (HORSE)--Fun with J93

My opponent is a 2+2er.

HORSE - 7 Card Stud High-Low ($10/$20), Ante $1, Bring-In $3 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 2: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (3.00 SB)

Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (2.50 BB)

Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 2: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls

6th Street - (6.50 BB)

Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

River - (8.50 BB)

Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 2: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___bets___calls

Total pot: (12.50 BB)
Old 11-13-2006, 01:22 AM

Default Re: $10/20 stud/8 (HORSE)--Fun with J93

I like it all. Of course I've come to the conclusion I suck at stud8 so it must be horribly played.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:25 AM

I guess we are leaving 3rd along for this thread right? lol, it wouldnt be terrible if the 9 was a 2 or something.

The only really other debatable street is 4th. Yeah, he caught an 8 but an 8 is basically a brick, esp when it is not the same suit as his duece. If I had QQ+ I might put in more action on 4th as you are probably slightly ahead...with JJ though you are probably even money/slight dog.

5, 6, 7 are good

Actually, from the villian point of view 5th is also interesting because he must have thought wtf...JJ is a thin raise there. If I was villian I would put you on a monster
Old 11-13-2006, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I was villian I would put you on a monster

[/ QUOTE ]

I was kinda hoping that. I also figured that there was no way in hell that the King hit him.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:23 AM

Looks well played to me Andy
Old 11-13-2006, 10:36 AM

extremely standard imo. i dont think you should raise 4th because then it turns your hand face up. its better to let him think youre on a 3 card low and bricked then to gain marginal value in a checkraise. by playing it that way you end up getting in a 5th street checkraise the way you did when both of you brick. the one downside of this however is that if you catch a baby and he bricks youll have to lead out because he probably wont bet a low draw to an 8 if you check to him. still though, playing it this way lets you value bet on 7th with a pair of jacks and youll get called by a busted low pair of 8s or whatever, whereas if you raised 4th he wont call with that as its obvious you have an overpair.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:00 PM

The raise was pretty unexpected. I was just disappointed that I didn't hit my straight on the river.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess we are leaving 3rd along for this thread right? lol, it wouldnt be terrible if the 9 was a 2 or something.

[/ QUOTE ] I don't think he's raising for value on 3rd, it's a positional raise to hopefully take the antes. I think Andy mucks if anyone had even limped - right Andy? 5th st. raise is good because you might get a small pair with a king kicker to muck , which would be a mistake if he knew your hand .. if he is on a low draw it's as weak as it gets so make our compadre pay.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:07 PM

Andy, can you explain your thinking on 4th street? On first read, I thought it was slow playing, to disguise your (probably ahead right now) hand.

But then this is high/low, so checking and giving him a free card to make his low, even a rough 8, would make this hand a lot less EV for you.

Would you c/f 5th if he caught low and you bricked?
Old 11-13-2006, 04:28 PM

no danger of a free card .. the street gets bet anyway as a brick checking to a baby almost always bets .. it disguises his hand to set up the play on 5th which also was a mandatory bet by the villian- the other nice thing was the pot was kept small to make 5th a standard fold if the villian caught an ace.