Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 10-25-2006, 09:27 AM

Default Blogs: What do you read?

Bdk3clash told me about Google Reader a couple weeks ago, and I've gotten more into reading blogs since then. Google reader is an RSS aggregator, which basically means that instead of going to 10 different sites to read 10 differnt blogs, they all get streamed to one page so you can see new posts more easily. There are other services that do the same thing but this one is better designed than the few I've used. Here is the post Brad made about it with a brief explanation and some discussion.

I tried searching for a thread where people listed blogs they liked, but the word "blog" comes up so often it was pretty futile. I don't remember seeing one anyway.

So the way we're going to do this is pretty simple, hopefully simple enough for the people here that have had trouble figuring out what at thread is about lately. Just follow this format for posting blogs you like...

Here are the blogs currently on my google reader feeds:

Blog Maverick: This is a blog written by Mark Cuban, owner of the Dallas Mavericks. He is a really smart guy and mostly writes about basketball and business. Lately he's been talking about GooTube a lot from the perspective of DMCA Safe Harbor Laws. It's a really good source for unfiltered opinions; he rips on the NBA and Google a lot.

Deadspin:: This is a sports blog that I'm sure a lot of you read already. It is similar to Blog Maverick in that it's a really unfiltered perspective on a news topic we're bombarded with. Image ESPN if Stuart Scott and Chris Berman were replaced by more knowledgable versions of frat guys. I get almost all of my sports news here now.

Gawker: Like Deadspin, I'm sure many of you have heard of Gawker (same company). Gawker is a media/pop culture news blog focused mostly on stuff in New York.

Gizmodo: Gizmodo is basically just reviews of cool toys and gadgets. It will usually have a good answer for the "What should I buy with my Amazon gift card" threads. Also owned by Gawker, which I promise I have no financial interest in.

Gothamist: Gothamist is a New York City blog about all kinds of stuff. News, restaurants, concerts, politics, basically whatever. I know this is really only going to be of interest to people in New York, but there are a bunch of other "...ist" sites all run by the same people. You can see all of them here, and they include: Austin, Boston, Chicago, Houstonist, London, Los Angeles, New York City, Paris, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Shanghai, Seattle, Toronto, Washington DC. I don't read the other ist's, but I would assume they're as good as Gothamist, which is very good. Basically anything that's going on in the city they cover will be on there.

i'm not a player, i just krush a lot: This is Kurosh's blog. No explanation needed.

Kissing Suzy Kolber: This is an NFL blog that is written in a similar style to Deadspin, though it's not quite as good. I mostly keep it around for something to read when I've run out of other stuff and for their weekly cheerleader profiles.

Paul Kedrosky's Infectious Greed: Paul Kedrosky works in venture capital and writes a bunch of short thoughts about current events in business every day. Pretty interesting stuff, from a perspective that you don't often get in mainstream media.

The Superficial: Imagine Entertaiment tonight if Paris Hilton just called Mary Hart fat and then effed her boyfriend.

What Would Tyler Durden Do: Kind of a cross between Page 6 and Deadspin, celebity gossip written by for guys in their early 20's.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:51 AM

Default Re: Blogs: What do you read?

so I'm just setting up Google Reader now. do you subscribe to the full syndication, or partial (no ads)?
Old 10-25-2006, 09:54 AM

Nice thread, will check some of these.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so I'm just setting up Google Reader now. do you subscribe to the full syndication, or partial (no ads)?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think I ever saw and option for full or partial, but I have adblock so I guess they'd both look the same to me.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:57 AM

you just made the internet that much more dangerous to my productivity
Old 10-25-2006, 10:09 AM

Evan,

this is awesome, thank you very much. now I'll have something more than 2+2 to read in the mornings. again, excellent work. mark cuban's blog in particular is good
Old 10-25-2006, 10:28 AM

Bruce Schneier's blog on security (tech and more general) issues.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think I ever saw and option for full or partial, but I have adblock so I guess they'd both look the same to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

google reader is cool. welcome to web 2.0 KBZ!
Old 10-25-2006, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

google reader is cool. welcome to web 2.0 KBZ!

[/ QUOTE ]
http://googlereader.blogspot.com/200...it-better.html
Old 10-25-2006, 10:39 AM

Good post.

I currently read the following:

Gawker for entertainment purposes

Curbed for happenings in NYC real estate

Daily Kos and Atrios for politics (liberal websites)

There's a few more I read every once in a while, but I read those every day.