Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2006, 12:16 AM

Default Re: 89s Tourney Hand--please advise

Most of what you said is very, very wrong. 89s wins on the flop, as in, is the best on the flop, a fair amount. Pair + FD or SD, FD + SD, overcards + gut + FD, 2p+, even TP against these guys. Also, my shove has FE (only needs under 5% given the scenario), TT almost folded. Not only that, but I could have checked through and saw a free turn if I so chose (if I didn't feel I had FE)--if I told you I could limp 89s for one BB, have the flop checked to me and see a free turn to see if I hit my flush, that would sound pretty tempting. Also, I would certainly shove KJ there.

And I knew what to do on the flop. Shove.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Most of what you said is very, very wrong. 89s wins on the flop, as in, is the best on the flop, a fair amount. Pair + FD or SD, FD + SD, overcards + gut + FD, 2p+, even TP against these guys. Also, my shove has FE (only needs under 5% given the scenario), TT almost folded. Not only that, but I could have checked through and saw a free turn if I so chose (if I didn't feel I had FE)--if I told you I could limp 89s for one BB, have the flop checked to me and see a free turn to see if I hit my flush, that would sound pretty tempting. Also, I would certainly shove KJ there.

And I knew what to do on the flop. Shove.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL OPPOSITE DAY
Old 08-21-2006, 12:18 AM

all right, *now* it's time to give up
Old 08-21-2006, 12:21 AM

Sorry guys, I'm having a big family problem right at this moment, and I also don't play tournaments. I'm sorry if I'm being thick skinned or not getting the reasoning. I'll read over this stuff later, but right now I'm not understanding why it was bad. Sorry about being argumentative.

m
Old 08-21-2006, 09:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry guys, I'm having a big family problem right at this moment, and I also don't play tournaments. I'm sorry if I'm being thick skinned or not getting the reasoning. I'll read over this stuff later, but right now I'm not understanding why it was bad. Sorry about being argumentative.

m

[/ QUOTE ]

Good luck with the family problems.

I'd limp too. Catch a flop and push/call. You are short stacked and need to gamble at some point. This is one of those gambling opportunities.

Pushing all in is another gamble. And not one that I would do. It's too likely that SOMEONE will call you. And you have a Zero showdown hand.

On the flop, you have two choices: Check for the free card, or push all in. Personally I'd push. Flush draw 36% + 14% FE = coin flip. About as good as it gets at this point in the tourney.

You played it fine.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:34 AM

The preflop push is not a bad play. Obviously, you don't want to be called by TT, but you don't mind an underpair or overards. Atleast, you should get HU with pot odds. If you get multiple callers, your suited connector may be ahead of pot odds, and someone may protect you buy betting the flop.

In most live tournaments, I would automatically push this, as you generally have good folding equity. Similarly online late in the tournament, on the bubble, or in fairly high buyin freezeouts.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I had T1900 left, blinds 100/200. The table is really tight/passive. I've limped 2-3 times at this table, and wasn't raised. Now, there were two limpers, UTG+1 and MP1, and I was on the BTN with 89s. I'm really short, but I thought 1/10th of my stack is worth seeing if I flop a FD so I can gamble it up at that point. First, is this limp okay?

Second, the SB completed and BB checked. The flop came K x x with 2 clubs. It was checked to me on the BTN, I push 1900/1000. This also, I felt was correct. I felt I have FE, plus, I don't mind gamblng, obviously, at this point.

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

89 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]?

Anyway, I often can't resist limping here, but I think it's naughty.

I think pushing is fine too. It's a big pot and 89s is a good hand to see five cards with. I'm also assuming bigger pairs have raised. And there is the squeeze effect on one of the limpers.

Come the flop, if I feel I have to make a stab at this pot, it's a push if I have the suit but I guess you don't because that's obvious, or, if I really want to try and take it down with no outs five way (which seems misguided), then it would be a post-oak bluff followed by a push on a non-club turn, depending on who's calling, what their stack is and what odds I'm laying.

Let's face it though. This is hand demonstrates why limping is so naughty.