Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2006, 06:04 PM

Default 89s Tourney Hand--please advise

I had T1900 left, blinds 100/200. The table is really tight/passive. I've limped 2-3 times at this table, and wasn't raised. Now, there were two limpers, UTG+1 and MP1, and I was on the BTN with 89s. I'm really short, but I thought 1/10th of my stack is worth seeing if I flop a FD so I can gamble it up at that point. First, is this limp okay?

Second, the SB completed and BB checked. The flop came K x x with 2 clubs. It was checked to me on the BTN, I push 1900/1000. This also, I felt was correct. I felt I have FE, plus, I don't mind gamblng, obviously, at this point.

Thoughts?
Old 08-20-2006, 06:08 PM

Default Re: 89s Tourney Hand--please advise

What were UTG and MP's stack sizes?
Old 08-20-2006, 06:10 PM

I don't know, but no one's going to answer this thread, anyway. I've never posted here before.

I don't want to push 89s b/c I'm definitely getting called. But since at this table I can see a cheap flop, I may be able to get my money in really good. I like the play compared to either folding or pushing.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:12 PM

I wouldn't fold here preflop. I know you are limping a big part of your stack, but you have a hand that plays well with position. I would say preflop pushing > limping > folding.

I gather you were suited in clubs. Then it seems correct to push on the flop when it is passed to you on the button.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:15 PM

You're getting called if 1. one of the blinds has a big hand or 2. if one of the EP guys are trapping. At this stage in the tournament it's not entirely likely that someone is trapping, but I don't know for sure. Stack sizes are sort of important, I think, to know for sure, though.

I think there are merits to your play though, as it still leaves you w/ 1700 and that's certainly something to work with. I'd rather gamble I guess and hope that my cards are live EDIT: which is fairly important this early in the tournament.

jrbick
Old 08-20-2006, 06:15 PM

However, pushing here is certainly going to be called in at least 1 place, possibly more (this table loves calling). The reason it's taught not to limp when you're so short is b/c you're just going to be pushed out a large %, anyway, and then you bled away money. But at this table, there was a very high % chance that I can limp and see the flop, which makes it the best choice IMO. Do you think that's possible?
Old 08-20-2006, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, pushing here is certainly going to be called in at least 1 place, possibly more (this table loves calling). The reason it's taught not to limp when you're so short is b/c you're just going to be pushed out a large %, anyway, and then you bled away money. But at this table, there was a very high % chance that I can limp and see the flop, which makes it the best choice IMO. Do you think that's possible?

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the buyin? Is this live or online?

With a table of calling stations who will limp/call a preflop push, I like the limp better than folding or pushing preflop.

As I said, I like the flop push of a flush draw when passed to you in position.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:20 PM

Yeah, I already said that it's (assuming that "it's" refers to it being a a good play) possible in my OP. I'm not a tournament expert either so take my advice fwiw. To me it's a matter of preference... I'd rather gamble in that spot than wait to pick up a hand before the blinds again.

jrbick
Old 08-20-2006, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the buyin? Is this live or online?

With a table of calling stations who will limp/call a preflop push, I like the limp better than folding or pushing preflop.

As I said, I like the flop push of a flush draw when passed to you in position.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the party million going on right now, $215 BI, and I really don't think I have FE at all if I push PF.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:28 PM

At this point you have'nt got enougth chips to call. When you bet you need to move-in and apply maximum pressure to the pot. If it is a tight passive a big grandstand move with 89 will work but it is preflop that you have the maximum fold equity the blinds must have a hand to call and the limpers have shown no strength. Whereas making the move on the flop gives 4 players the opportunity to catch enough of a hand to call.

regards