Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Puzzles and Other Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2006, 07:31 PM

Default Re: Brag: I finally beat Linley\'s Dungeon Crawl.

A new version of Dungeon Crawl just came out that adds the best features of the 4.1 alpha to the 4.0 binary. Here is the Google Groups link:
Dungeon Crawl SS 0.1.1
Old 09-27-2006, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if anyone has played Linley's Dungeon Crawl(or Crawl), but it is an extraordinarily tough and deep Roguelike game that took me a few hundred attempts to beat. Here is my victory post.

You can get the game here. It is the 4th link from the top. I'm happy to give advice to anyone who tries it out.

[/ QUOTE ]
umm, you forgot to sign up for a turbo
Old 09-28-2006, 03:15 AM

Still playing. Still haven't won - except that time I cheated and copied the save files out over and over just to see what some of the rest of the game looked like. Someday I'll score a legit win.

I haven't tried any of the games past b26. The RGRM posts seem to imply that the game's still not very balanced. I have a hard enough time with the balanced game that I think I'll stick to it for now.

P.S. Jeff, my gf hates you.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Still playing. Still haven't won - except that time I cheated and copied the save files out over and over just to see what some of the rest of the game looked like. Someday I'll score a legit win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, that kinda spoils the experience a bit. You miss out some of the emotion when you first visit the scariest areas in the game. Also, it teaches bad habits.

Good luck getting your first win. How far are you usually getting with legit characters?

I haven't played the new version, but I'll give it a try shortly. I haven't played in awhile. I was becoming pretty damn good too, I won 8 times in less than a month IIRC and had a couple near misses as well like my L27 Kobold Assassin who died in Zot 5.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ah, that kinda spoils the experience a bit. You miss out some of the emotion when you first visit the scariest areas in the game. Also, it teaches bad habits.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are still plenty of areas I haven't seen (crypt, tomb, 3 of the hells, pan). I'm not sure about the bad habits thing; could be though.

[ QUOTE ]
Good luck getting your first win. How far are you usually getting with legit characters?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm fairly regularly clearing the lair, hive, and mines. I usually get through a couple levels of the vaults and get to about Dlvl20 or so. I've picked up the snake pit and swamp runes a few times, but I usually don't go right after them. It seems that every character I have that gets that far is very deficient in one area (e.g. no poison resistance, crappy armor/weapon, no staff, etc.) and I spend the rest of the character's life looking to fill the hole.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure about the bad habits thing; could be though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, Crawl is a game where you learn by dying--if you don't actually die, I think the lessons fail to stick. I have never save scummed tho, so I could be wrong.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm fairly regularly clearing the lair, hive, and mines. I usually get through a couple levels of the vaults and get to about Dlvl20 or so. I've picked up the snake pit and swamp runes a few times, but I usually don't go right after them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually clear Snake before I clear the Lair. The dangers are fairly predictable and controllable. If you have poison resistance or high EV it's very doable.

Anyway, keep at it. Sounds like you're most of the way to your first victory.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:48 PM

I suck at this game, but it is horribly addicting

how do I sacrifice corpses? I'm a human chaos knight following Makhleb, and want to give it a shot

I found a good list of common commands here, but feel like I'm missing out on alot.

I'm looking through the links provided, but overall I still feel lost
Old 10-02-2006, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I suck at this game, but it is horribly addicting

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahaha, yep.

[ QUOTE ]

how do I sacrifice corpses? I'm a human chaos knight following Makhleb, and want to give it a shot

[/ QUOTE ]

Dissect the corpse while praying. Makhleb rulz--my favorite god.

[ QUOTE ]

I found a good list of common commands...

[/ QUOTE ]

"?" in game should be pretty helpful. It's been awhile since I've played, but IIRC Ctrl+O, Ctrl+X and Ctrl+F are travel and stash commands that make the game a lot smoother. Also, learn the targetting commands as well--I think I go over them somewhere in this thread.
Old 12-24-2006, 05:34 AM

who ninjabumped this?