Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Puzzles and Other Games

Old 07-14-2006, 07:10 PM

Default Re: Brag: I finally beat Linley\'s Dungeon Crawl.

I started using the tile version so I could use the mouse for examining and non-directional targetting. It's also easier to recognize pictures of things rather than memorize the ASCII color/symbol. It does seem to be missing some commands though (Ctrl+F saves a waypoint instead of searching).

I figured out the targetting through trick. I didn't know about = there though. I'll try the ASCII version again and it'll come in handy there.

Is there any way to get the monsters to regenerate and find them easily? There are times I need quick food, but aren't strong enough to tackle the next level.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I started using the tile version so I could use the mouse for examining and non-directional targetting. It's also easier to recognize pictures of things rather than memorize the ASCII color/symbol. It does seem to be missing some commands though (Ctrl+F saves a waypoint instead of searching).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I don't know much about tile crawl, but I think it is behind the Darshan patch in functionality. Stash tracking is invaluable.

[ QUOTE ]
Is there any way to get the monsters to regenerate and find them easily? There are times I need quick food, but aren't strong enough to tackle the next level.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, the need for food is the primary impetus to descend in Crawl and it keeps the game from degenerating into a scumfest where you sit around and generate monsters and equipment and then win with your invincible character.

The only exceptions are Mummies, who don't need to eat(and can't...or drink potions which is a big disadvantage). Kobolds(can eat anything and eat when not hungry) and Spriggans(hunger very slowly) are also well situated foodwise.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:22 PM

I won again.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:20 AM

Okay, I've looked for a while now and I can't find exactly what "victory dancing" is. I know it's basically doing something over and over in a safe place to increase skills, but I'm not completely sure how skills are increased. Does it work with all skills? Can you increase your weapon skills by attacking the air? How do you increase things like stealth and armor?
Old 07-17-2006, 03:30 AM

Am I the only one who's too dense/ADD to play this?

I keep hitting the wrong button and it'll say "what do you want to drink/eat/pick-up?" and i try to get it to stop asking and it won't, rinse/repeat.

I have no idea how to execute a battle other than running at or away from something. I gotta go play Civ 4 now.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, I've looked for a while now and I can't find exactly what "victory dancing" is. I know it's basically doing something over and over in a safe place to increase skills, but I'm not completely sure how skills are increased.

[/ QUOTE ]

It refers to any kind of repetitive activity that improves your chance of winning. One example is casting magic dart at a wall to improve spellcasting/conjurations. Another is lugging weapons to the Ecumenical Temple to sacrifice to Elyvilon for piety.

[ QUOTE ]
Does it work with all skills? Can you increase your weapon skills by attacking the air? How do you increase things like stealth and armor?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to kill stuff to increase fighting and weapon skills. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Stealth raises occasionally when you're wearing light armour and have experience in your pool. Same for armour(except for heavy armour, not light), and armour also raises when a monster hits you while you're wearing heavy armour. Both rise slowly, but you don't need high levels in those two skill anyway. After 15 Armour, returns diminish quickly and I got good benefit from just 9 Stealth.

Luckily, you don't have to do much "victory dancing" to win in Crawl--you can succeed by just playing naturally.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one who's too dense/ADD to play this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Once you learn the commands, it becomes a lot more fun. Well, at least I think so.

[ QUOTE ]
I keep hitting the wrong button and it'll say "what do you want to drink/eat/pick-up?" and i try to get it to stop asking and it won't, rinse/repeat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hit 'Esc'.

[ QUOTE ]

I have no idea how to execute a battle other than running at or away from something. I gotta go play Civ 4 now.

[/ QUOTE ]

For some reason I just cannot get into the Civilization/Alpha Centauri series--too much micromanagement I reckon, but I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Master of Orion I, which is similar.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For some reason I just cannot get into the Civilization/Alpha Centauri series--too much micromanagement I reckon, but I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Master of Orion I, which is similar.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought and tried MOOIII, but it was just too painful (at least starting out). Maybe it just took a long time to evolve, then I would have realized all the non recoverable mistakes I made and had to start over, but I just got bored and hung it up.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought and tried MOOIII, but it was just too painful (at least starting out). Maybe it just took a long time to evolve, then I would have realized all the non recoverable mistakes I made and had to start over, but I just got bored and hung it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't played MOO III, but from that I read it's a complete travesty. MOO II was highly acclaimed, but it went too much over to the dark side of micromanagement for my taste.

MOO I, OTOH, is deep and challenging without being overwhelming or tedious.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:24 PM

I did moo i or ii, not sure which. I had high hopes for mooiii, but I can't find any fault with the travesty description.