Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2007, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Got company. $100 missing. Here\'s what I\'ve done.

[ QUOTE ]
At dinner, tell them you had an operative witness the theft. Have everyone stand at the dinner table and put their right hand into the person's left pocket. Find the marked bill.

Make that person switch places with a homeless guy. Hilarity will ensue.

Leverage the homeless guy's street smarts and the thief's knowledge of financial markets to take down the Dukes.

Profit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we have a winner!
Old 11-23-2007, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Howard (not your real name),

I think everyone here knows you are basically a social retard, so we will cut you some slack.

Why not just approach the kid directly and ask him? Why the dramatics? Just say you left some money out and now its missing and you wanted to know if he was playing a joke on you by hiding it. That way he can play along and return it w/o admitting to stealing.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, you insult him, then proceed to offer truly terrible advice. impressive.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:57 PM

I'm with the posters who feel you have some familial responsibility to your brother to let him know. If it were me in the situation, I'd go out of my way to make it clear I've already written off the $100, and that i'm not 100% sure it's been stolen.

If your brother doesn't have some inclination that his son might have done this, then he probably hasn't. If he did do it, you brother should have the information so he can try and raise a kid with some morals. Everyones story about how they stole as a kid, but don't do it anymore involves them getting caught. Maybe 14 is too late, but maybe not. is a little bit of peace worth keeping your brother from a shot at raising his kid better?
Old 11-23-2007, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyones story about how they stole as a kid, but don't do it anymore involves them getting caught.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really untrue.
i had a friend in high-school who shoplifted quite a bit and never got caught. I really doubt he still steals now. In the very least, he did not graduate on to armed-robbery or stealing cars or something.

I had no excuse for it because I was old enough to know better but ge got me into shoplifting a couple of items also when I was kid.
I never got caught. I no longer steal.

So while many bigger criminals obviousl do start small...I do not think that a kid who swipes $100 when given the opportunity is going to turn to a lifetime of crime.
Obviously the chances are much higher for a kid who does this as opposed to a kid who doesn't do this though. But it's far from a guarantee.

I do think that turning your back on the whole situation because you are afraid of rocking the boat is pretty silly.
IF the kid does have a problem then just ignoring it probably isn't going to help him.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Plus: Social retard? wtf, I'm more normal than most on here.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dunno. i mean, how old are you? and you still live with moms?

[/ QUOTE ]

there's nothing wrong with living with your mom if you get along with her. Personally, I moved out when I was 16, but my mother is nuts.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also 9 times out of 10 these kinds of things turn out that the accuser did something with the $100 and forgot about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

bingo. Same thing goes for stolen stuff.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:00 PM

What exactly would your brother go nuts about? You accusing his son of stealing or his son stealing stuff? And in what way would he go nutso? Starting yelling at you/kid in front of the fam?
Old 11-23-2007, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He took the money to go to an Asian massage parlor obv. You should be proud.

[/ QUOTE ]

He won't get much for $100. A hj if he's lucky and gets a sympathetic girl.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What exactly would your brother go nuts about? You accusing his son of stealing or his son stealing stuff? And in what way would he go nutso? Starting yelling at you/kid in front of the fam?

[/ QUOTE ]

My brother is wound very, very tight. Sometimes I can't believe that he's my brother because I can't stay mad at anybody for more than 15 minutes. He had trouble w/ his eldest stealing from him and his mom, his second eldest sort of went to reform school (although he's now turning out the best of them) and if I mention missing money he'll think just as I do and be real upset. So, by now, I've really put it aside completely.

I'm sure many are saying wtf kind of family is this and I'll tell you. One day out of the clear blue sky my brother's wife told him to get the [censored] out and her boyfriend moved right in. He's never been the same since. He went thru a horrific time w/ the divorce and all the kids were terribly effected. Things are better now, they share custody sort of informally, but his ex has had a procession of men living in her house with and without the kids who are often at my brother's place nearby, she runs off to Peru where she consults has bought some land in a remote area of the country and consults with the local shamans or something so she's wierd. Anyhoo, I've kept my mouth shut and my money locked up. They'll all be gone by Sunday and mom says that next year we're spending Thanksgiving in LV and the company can go.......well, just go.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:40 AM

Is your brother that real hippie lookin dude you posted pictures of a while ago?

FWIW, I think you handled it ok. Sounds like your bro is having a hard enough time. You shouldn't be jerky to your nephew though. Either confront him about it, or let it slide. Sounds like the kid has been having a rough time too.