Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 10-23-2007, 10:52 PM

Default Re: (razz) bet/fold river?

The thing about the raise that bothered me was... lots of people are capable of bluffing on 7th, but a bluff raise is rare, and the reason is, people who bluff, when they are raised *often call*. It's alarming. Several times I have been nearly sure someone is bluffing, but I myself have a hand that won't beat all bluffs, so I raise, thinking he'll fold his bluff. Nope, he calls with J high. And wins because my crap is worse.

villain's play here isn't LAGgy... it's extremely loose passive. It's unlikely to get my attention unless he wins the hand, which he did. For advertising purposes he'd have been better off raising 3rd or 4th and then folding early (or calling and winning if he developed a good hand). Besides this kind of advertising (LAG) is designed in general to get calls in the future. If he was advertising here, I would imagine it was the don't-bluff-me kind of advertising, which I do from time to time, if I think there is a good chance that villain is taking a shot at me with less than a good hand.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:04 AM

A Seven has already limped in on third. There's a decent chance that hero doesn't have the best hand, and that Eight is out there for all to see.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:07 AM

Call the river and don't like it. Presumably, the other guy was drawing to a smooth Eight, so there's a pretty good chance that you're beaten. I doubt that a micro-limit player is raising with an 87 or a bluff.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Plus he has an 8 showing, so it's not like he could be raising a 7 or something

[/ QUOTE ]

To me this is the worst part... if I give him credit for being average for these stakes (i.e. not great but not retarded) then if he's calling drawing to an 8 it should probably be a pretty good one. I'd be a *little* more likely to think he was bluff raising if he had like A6 showing, because it's more likely that I'd fold a made 8 in that situation. I would think, given his up cards, that he expects me to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

The other thing here to mention is that you know he has a K8 made. Is he going to call you w/ a K,Q,J,T,9? Maybe? Will you get called or raised by every hand that beats you? Yeah. So I like to c/c these spots because I don't think betting has much value unless I know the opponent will call with really bad hands. It's not like he has a T made here and is calling down hoping you paired; although you'll get called by the 9 here if he makes it obviously so c/c might not be the best line in this particular hand due to the person drawing dead. Just something else to think about for future play...

-ChipsAhoya
Old 10-24-2007, 12:27 AM

I bet because I knew the 9 would call if he had made a 9, and the 8 would call any 8, whether it beats me or not. I could potentially miss 1-2bb here. Further I think either of them (but probably not both) would call with a 9, T, or even a J.

I hate check-calling here... seems like every time I check I could have gotten another bb or two. Having to act first here sucks, I would much rather have had the 8 draw check to me.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:44 AM

bluff 3bet
Old 10-24-2007, 03:58 AM

No one ever folds an 8.