Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life

Old 09-25-2007, 10:53 PM

Default Re: \"major in anything and go to law school\"

[ QUOTE ]
One of my classes this semester is Mass Media Law and we have a practicing attorney teaching the class.

Seems like every time I am in class I am thinking about what it would be like to be a lawyer, so much that I was actually excited when I saw this thread since I'm majoring in Broadcast Journalism.

I've been doing alright in school mostly just because I was more interested in partying more than I was making straight As.

As a result, my GPA at Middle Tenn State is 3.4 and should increase over the next several semesters (this is my fall semester Junior year).

Is it still too late to think about law school or should I just consider something else?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're at MTSU and you decide to go to law school, you should seriously consider some LSAT tutoring with me in Nashville. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2007, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"DO I ACTUALLY WANT TO WORK AS A LAWYER?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen to this. I would hate my life more than anything if I didn't love what I did right now.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why focus so much on the income following graduation and not on the income you can make over the next 25+ yrs as an attorney vs alternative career?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct. If you're a decent attorney, your salary grows quickly relative to other fields. The firm I clerked for during school (smaller firm, 10 attorneys) hires at 60k, but in less than three years the salary is around 85k. That's still not a lot, but that's an associate salary, and it doesn't include bonuses, which over the past three years have ranged from 10k to 20k, one year including an extra 15k following a settlement in a big case.