Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Why do you post in politics?
I enjoy the intellectual stimulus of discussing political issues 12 60.00%
I feel that my opinions can change other's viewpoints to my own 4 20.00%
This place allows me to rant and rave at the opposition 3 15.00%
I enjoy reinforcing my own viewpoints by hearing others that agree with me 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2007, 04:02 AM

Default Re: un-clutchest pitcher of our generation

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Roger Clemens

[/ QUOTE ]
dumbest thing ive read in a while

[/ QUOTE ]

Who gets run in the second inning of a playoff game arguing balls and strikes?
Who comes out of a WS-clinching game with a "blister"?
Who got lit the [censored] up in game 7 of the 03 ALCS?

Simmons:[ QUOTE ]
but he lacked Orr's panache and Bird's sense of The Moment. After awhile, we stopped measuring him against them. We adored him, we supported him ... but we worried about him. You never worried about Bird and Orr.

For instance, during Game 6 of the '86 World Series, Clemens could have closed out the Mets and emerged as a genuine hero (you forget this now, but everything was sitting right there at his fingertips -- "legend" status, a statue, the whole shebang). He pitched valiantly, holding a 3-2 lead through the seventh before exiting with a blister on the index finger of his throwing hand; even 15 years later, the principles involved (Clemens, former manager John McNamara and former pitching coach Bill Fischer) still argue whether or not Clemens asked out of the game.

McNamara vehemently claims that Clemens told him, "That's all I can pitch"; Clemens steadfastly maintains that he was yanked after the seventh; and prosecutor Jim Garrison claims that there may have been a second pitching coach ordering Clemens to leave the game. Nobody knows the truth, but we know one thing: Under similar circumstances, Larry Bird would have remained in the game unless he was forcibly removed and hogtied to the Celtics bench.

Clemens started eight playoff games in a five-year span from 1986-90, with the Sox winning just one of those starts (Game 7 of the 1986 ALCS against a shell-shocked Angels squad). To be fair, Boston's bullpen blew two other potential wins, but only one statistic keeps jumping out: 2-6. Not a good sign.

We watched Hershiser ('88), Rijo ('90) and Morris ('91) shine in postseasons over that same stretch, quietly waiting for Clemens to embark on a similar "Get on my back, boys" run. Never happened. Eventually we wondered if Clemens only peaked in meaningless games, like the time he tossed a complete game shutout during the final game of the '87 season (clinching his bid for a second Cy Young) after the Sox had been eliminated from the playoff picture for months.

And then there was Oakland ace/nemesis Dave Stewart, who delighted in beating Clemens in their head-to-head matchups (my math might be a little off here, but if I remember correctly, Stewart's lifetime record against Clemens was 982-0 -- even the Globetrotters-Generals feud wasn't this one-sided). Things finally boiled over in Game 4 of the 1990 American League playoffs between Stewart and Clemens, as the Rocket flipped out while arguing balls and strikes with home plate umpire Terry Cooney and got himself tossed in the second inning, even punctuating his exit by throwing a memorable, Whitney Houston-esque tantrum on the field and bumping Cooney more than once. Again, Larry wouldn't have done something like that.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-02-2007, 04:13 AM

1) if he pitches with the blister and gets lit up everyone will say hes an [censored] for being selfish
2)he has a 2.37 era in the world series

Never happened? Did you see the 2000 or 2001 post seasons?
Old 10-02-2007, 04:16 AM

oh [censored] never mind clemens retired in 1990
Old 10-02-2007, 04:36 AM

oh [censored] never mind clemens coming back was the greatest thing in the history of the world ever

/YES network bitty
Old 10-02-2007, 05:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[x] Jake Peavy
[ ] Josh Fogg

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if this is a level or not, but without Peavy the Pads don't have a prayer of being there in the first place. So we'll just go ahead and call his whole season clutch.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[x] Jake Peavy
[ ] Josh Fogg

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if this is a level or not, but without Peavy the Pads don't have a prayer of being there in the first place. So we'll just go ahead and call his whole season clutch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not a "level" jiminy christmas I am sick of "levels".

Its a joke based on the fact that both starting pitchers sucked today, but people are results oriented and whichever ended up losing the game would be remembered for choking while the winning team's pitcher's bad performance would be forgotten.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:34 AM

Is Bobby Ayala of our generation?
Old 10-02-2007, 06:50 AM

If a joke needs that much explaining, then yes, it's a level.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL at mentioning Pap in the same paragraph as Mo.

[/ QUOTE ]

If Pap is unworthy of such praise, what does he have to do to get it?

Here's the criteria I used: if you're shocked to hear he blew a save, he's a Closer. If such news doesn't shock you in the least, he's a Crumb.

If "that coffee is for closers only," this league only needs two cups (unless that kid in Seattle measures up already, I don't follow the sport closely enough to know).
Old 10-02-2007, 07:01 AM

oh that korean guy who blew saves in the playoffs. bjung kim vs the yankees i think.