Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2006, 08:59 AM

Default 0.50/1 LO8. Is anyone getting away from this hand?

Paradise Poker
Limit Omaha Ring game
Limit: $0.50/$1
8 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (8 players) Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, CO (poster) checks, Button calls, SB calls, BB (poster) checks.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (7SB, 7 players)
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#cc3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls.

I bet the flop to find out the strength of my straight. Unfortunately 5 players called.

Turn: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6BB, 5 players)
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#cc3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls, SB calls, UTG calls.

Now the board is coordinated together with a 2-flush and two low cards. Would anyone check/fold here?

River: 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (11BB, 5 players)
SB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#cc3333">CO bets</font>, SB calls, UTG folds, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

The pot is to big to throw my hand away, right?

Results:
Final pot: 15BB
Old 03-11-2006, 09:42 AM

Default Re: 0.50/1 LO8. Is anyone getting away from this hand?

I fold this PF UTG, sometimes, but maybe it is worth seeing a flop at low-limit tables only for nut-flush potential or monster flops.

You missed the flop. Sorry, but there it is. You are playing for a slim chance of winning (probably) half the pot. Check-fold. Even nut str8 with no redraws isn't very good against this many callers.

On the turn, things got worse for you, since another gutshot str8 draw appeared, plus the new flush draw.

The river killed the low draws and missed the str8 and flush draws. However, you can still be up against the higher non-nut str8, and if someone flopped 2-pair, they probably filled up. If thr river gets checked around, you have a chance of winning. With a bet and call in front, I would say your chances are zero. With a call behind you, I know you are cooked.

Effen
Old 03-11-2006, 10:02 AM

Im a new player and usually in the nano-limits playing until I get this game figured out just a bit more. I have played the paradise game and have cleared a bit of my bonus but Im going to wait just a bit longer as the experience will do me good.

With that said I think I fold pre-flop.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:52 PM

With a suited Ace + 2 wheel cards, I'm not folding this even out of position.
The flop is real problematic. I think it's a toss-up whether to bet or not. Sometimes I might bet to see what everyone else does (as you did). I might even check-fold because you can lose a lot of money in this kind of spot. The two low cards are going to keep people in and you won't know for sure if people are drawing for high or low.

Turn I might check-call one bet. A bet by you won't get anyone to fold and there are a lot of cards you have to dodge for your hand to be good. I'd expect it to check around though actually.

Fold the river. The CO suddenly comes alive after the board pairs. Do you think he's just making a play at the pot against 5 opponents here? The chances of your bottom straight being good are about nil and since the SB called, you have to beat 2 players.
Old 03-11-2006, 03:24 PM

I like the A45 hands in EP in passive games like Paradise; especially if the A is suited. The thing about Paradise is that the players are so passive that they will normally all check the flop if you check but most will call if you bet. It's the best of both worlds.

So, on this flop I would check/call one bet and try to catch a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on the turn. Maybe we get lucky and catch the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. With this many callers it's worth seeing the turn though.

Basically, never count on winning with the idiot end of a straight. It's hard enough to win with a nut straight on the flop. If you have some other good draw to go along with your idiot straight then it's usually worthwhile to stick around.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:25 PM

Pre-flop:I'm a fairly tight player before the flop,but I would not consider folding this hand,even under the gun.This hand is stronger then it looks at first glance.The 5 &amp; 6 both add value to your A4,&amp; your A is suited.This hand has 3 reasonable ways to score--flush,straight,&amp; low.

Flop:The bet looks best to me.

Turn:It's close between a bet &amp; a check/call,imo.

River:You're going to lose this one the vast majority of the time,but getting 11 to 1 against a last position bettor,I would throw in a crying call,but I may be wrong.