Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 12:18 PM

Default PSA: One line answers

Im going to start cracking down on one line answers. It is just not good enough to come into a thread and say something like "call" with no justification for why you think that is the best course of action. Obviously, sometimes the hand is very obvious (should I go all in with AA preflop??!! ololool) but most of the threads here require more anaylsis than that.

So in future if I catch you making some weak-sauce reply like "call>>>raise>>>>>fold " and you dont explain your reasoning I'll just delete your post. If you keep on doing it I'll just ban you for a couple of days so you can think about it. These forums exist so we can help one another with our games and one line posts do nothing but clutter threads and piss off moderators.

If you don't know the answer to the hand posted, then ask a question like "should we really be stacking off with AQ here when I think that a big part of his range is sets?" or alternatively, just read and learn.

THANKS

-ama

ps. call>>raise>>>>>fold obv
Old 09-18-2007, 12:24 PM

Default Re: PSA: One line answers

Am I allowed to respond to this thread? It's not locked :P

I think trying to garner more discussion is an admirable goal...but cracking down on one-liners may just encourage the lazy to post less. *Raises hand

Alot of hands really don't need a ton of explanation. If someone doesn't understand the one-liner than they should ask. In addition, sometimes I don't WANT to read alot of analysis. Sometimes I just want a one-line opinion from a bunch of posters.

I think, in general, this kind of rule isn't ideal. I do understand what you're trying to achieve and I trust you'll make sure not to drop the pwnstick unnecessarily. But that's just my opinion.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:30 PM

Im talking about really blatant lack of effort, maybe I should have said one WORD answers instead of one line answers. Like you go into a thread and it says "fold flop". What the hell does that achieve? Nothing. Sure, some hands dont need a great deal of explanation, so make it a brief explanation. Like -

BAD: "Fold flop"

GOOD: "Fold flop. You're usually behind to a set here and preflop action makes it hard for him to have AA/KK"

That extra sentence makes all the difference IMO.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:34 PM

Good point ama, I will make a point to keep myself in line as well.

However, I'd like you to address the idea of having the outcome of the hand in white txt at the end of the HH.( Example: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...=1#Post12128482 ) I think this is a great way of still allowing the users to read through the lines, while still seeing some real results and how the villain played what etc...
Old 09-18-2007, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

However, I'd like you to address the idea of having the outcome of the hand in white txt at the end of the HH.( Example: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...=1#Post12128482 ) I think this is a great way of still allowing the users to read through the lines, while still seeing some real results and how the villain played what etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

You shouldnt even care what the results are. In this particular situation villain might have the nuts, in another he might have air.
You want to find a sollution to play a hand that would make most profit in the long run.
You might think a call is good in a hand and the results show you that it was a good call but actually it might have been a bad play (if you understand what i mean)
Old 09-18-2007, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You shouldnt even care what the results are. In this particular situation villain might have the nuts, in another he might have air.
You want to find a sollution to play a hand that would make most profit in the long run.
You might think a call is good in a hand and the results show you that it was a good call but actually it might have been a bad play (if you understand what i mean)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the last I'll be commenting on this subject in this thread, as I think it is off topic. However, I don't how to further explain to you that while I DO very much appreciate and thrive off the learning technique regarding thinking through HHs without the results, I'm not proposing that be changed in any way. Contrary to your comment about how I should not care about the results, while I understand your point (which is a point we've all heard a million times), when it comes down to it, I DO care....sometimes. Not every post does it matter, but enough times, thinking through the HH and the line both the hero and villain without the results, and THEN being able to consult the outcome afterwards, IMO is VERY valuable.

Many times I have narrowed the range down to only a few hands even possibly a single hand which I'm always sure of, it is an undeniable learning tool to think through the hand (without the results) and then consult them if you choose.

IMO not only will it be rewarding to realize you're starting to understand some of the std lines these players are taking in certain situations, but also when you are wrong, be able to decide when/why you're thought process went wrong.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:31 PM

ama>>rest ldo

No but for real, it's about time someone steps up!
I notice myself posting some very short replies sometimes and it really blows because honestly nobody learns anything from it.
There is, or there should be, an explanation for every move you do while you're playing, so you might aswell type the reasoning with it to help others or to find leaks in your own thoughts.

A+ thread!
Old 09-18-2007, 12:35 PM

good idea
Old 09-18-2007, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
good idea

[/ QUOTE ]

2 day ban plz.

EDIT: Because he didn't explain his response.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:46 PM

Seriously....

I think people should have to post their BB/100 winrate next to their advice as well.

SOOOOOOO much bad advice on here it's not even funny.
Closed Thread