Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 08:43 PM

Default Re: Overrated bands/musicians

[ QUOTE ]
Beasties Boys...no contest

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the most idiotic thing i've read in a long time. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2007, 09:23 PM

Eminem

Were he black no one would have ever even heard of him. Mediocre flow, forgettable lyrics.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Eminem

Were he black no one would have ever even heard of him. Mediocre flow, forgettable lyrics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being white helped Em a lot BUT he rips everything from Infinite - The Eminem Show
Old 07-20-2007, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
TOOL - Boring

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost never listen to Tool but I have immense respect for their songwriting.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Beasties Boys...no contest

[/ QUOTE ]

reasons why plz

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. I'm curious to hear this too. Here's a group of white, Jewish groups that can be considered one of the most influential acts in hip-hop history. Constantly reinventing themselves and the genre.

[/ QUOTE ]

They constantly reinvented their music. But their actual lyrical skills were mediocre at best.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Eminem

[/ QUOTE ]

I still remember "my mother smokes more dope than I do," and I've only heard that song like twice.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and I've only heard that song like twice.

[/ QUOTE ] Quite an amazing accomplishment.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:23 AM

I wonder if an good definition of overrated is that their music sort of fades away after their initial popularity. If they are a one hit wonder that is one thing but if they get past that then they are "rated." For instance, going back a zillion years, Zager and Evans can't be overrated because they were barely rated. Does their body of work stack up through the years?

Applying that to some people I know--
Michael Jackson--faded a bit, but a 20 year run is a run few can match. NOT overrated.

Phil Collins--Had a good run with Genesis, but faded pretty fast after Tarzan. I'm not sure anyone claims he is a legend, but he was a giant for nearly a decade.

Nirvana--time will tell, but their body of work is widely admired. Not overrated, but could change over time.

Eminem--Early to tell...First white rapper to sustain popularity over several years...again, time will tell.

Hmm...no one is overrated...well, let me jump right into the fire...

The Dead--most ardent fans in the free world. Definite long-term touring success. But broad appeal? Not sure. They don't work for me... I'll say they are somewhat overrated. Shouldn't a popular band have some presence on best selling lists somewhere??
Old 07-24-2007, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm...no one is overrated...well, let me jump right into the fire...

The Dead--most ardent fans in the free world. Definite long-term touring success. But broad appeal? Not sure. They don't work for me... I'll say they are somewhat overrated. Shouldn't a popular band have some presence on best selling lists somewhere??

[/ QUOTE ]

So money grossing/best selling concerts.... I remember when Garcia was still alive and the Dead were still touring, weren't they on the Forbes top 10 money grossing musicians lists for a loooooong time? I think they were even the #1 band until the Eagles and RS decided to take the old asses back on tour. I'm not mentioning the fact that one specific Jam Band who is still tourning (Phish isin't anymore) and still rakin' in the money was ranked 9th overall on Forbes money makers list in 2005 (musicians, obv).

I believe the definition of "over-rated" by the peeps here in 2+2 is whatever band/musician they don't like. If that's the case, can someone please explain Jack White to me... Thanks in advance.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I believe the definition of "over-rated" by the peeps here in 2+2 is whatever band/musician they don't like.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's how most of these things end up, and a lot of the time they start that way too.