Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should I just flip a coin instead?
Chester Taylor at home on short rest 1 25.00%
Willie Parker on the road 3 75.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 05:07 PM

Default Re: Contributed = looser games

[ QUOTE ]
So you really think that the average 23/15 player bumping up to 30/23 is going to make the games seem "better" to fish?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, raising is better than no action: fold fold fold bores everyone. Less folding more raising = more action. They may get pissed, but the action is addictive and extremely satisfying when you hit a hot streak.

[ QUOTE ]
WSEX: Hey guys, we made a change to make the games looser, come play on our site!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that trying to attract players by advertising a switch to contributed would be ineffective and might even hurt more than it helps. Some simple advertising about a reload bonus would be far better.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:11 PM

Please state how many hands and what limits you have played on wpex that makes you think this change is such a great idea. The games are getting much better now and traffic is picking up in the cash games (the player count means nothing if they are all in micro games and free roll tourneys) and there has been a much wider selection of games lately.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fold fold fold bores everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.... but the games aren't like that! If wsex can get some damn people on the site, I think they'll like the games!
Old 08-13-2007, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Please state how many hands and what limits you have played on wpex

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's irrelevant to the logic of the argument, but since you ask, I've played semi-pro at WPEX since it went rakefree. It's been my primary site mostly since then, a couple months at the beginning and recently excepted. I have record of about 140k hands. And, back before they fixed the hand history request system I missed recording several thousand hands, so I don't know my exact number. 10/20 my favorite limit, but a lot of 5/10 and sometimes lower. I've taken a shot or two up to 30/60, but not in a while.

[ QUOTE ]
The games are getting much better now

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems quite hit or miss to me. This afternoon I played in a rocking 10/20 6max, averaged well over $100/pot, but the other 10/20 6max going was only averaging $50, which is nit tight for sure.

Right now there are two 5/10 games going one averaging $28: very tight, and the other averaging about $47, which is ok. At 3/6, one is rocking, two are nit-tight. There is no 10/20. Since the action dried up after they ran off the bots I've played a lot more at Stars, and I can tell you with certainty the games there at 5/10 and 10/20 are way juicier than WPEX.

Hey, guys, I've said my piece, no more to offer. It's no skin off my back if they stay dealt hands rakeback, but I have yet to see any one refute the logic of my argument for contributed.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:26 PM

Your logic has been partly refuted imo.

There are only a handful of players there as it is.
If they switch to contributed they will lose some of them.
They will not gain any as nobody out there is attracted enough to contributed RB to move to a site just because they got it.

If WSEX wants to hang onto as many of there few remaining players as they can then they should not switch to contributed. And obviously they should market the site a bit more as has been suggested.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:52 PM

Hey guys,

If the marketing strategy Fred mentioned is affiliates, how does the process work exactly? I mean, I understand the big ones that advertise here and at other poker sites. What are some of the other methods they employ to attract sign-ups?

How do they attract the unwashed outside of television and print ads? In all of my time spent in poker circles, I have never come across an affiliate of an affiliate, much less an affiliate.

I mentioned twice in last months thread the possibility of slick looking business cards that could be handed out to players we connect with during live play (with no feedback [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]). The brief conversations while grabbing a smoke or whatever make it difficult to articulate the benefits of playing at WPX. However, a card with the appropriate web address would be a convenient way of getting the word out.

From the numerous conversations I have had with other potential contributors, the only site they know is Full Tilt. Clearly, just talking to people isn't enough. They need something shiny and tangible to get their visual emotions involved.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:33 AM

Default Re: WSEX: Official Monthly Thread: August. (#12 of 12.)

You missed a key point of my argument, something nobody seems to think of:
"Whether they know why or not, they will perform better."
You see, they may not care or think about rake back, but they DO know where they have the best results. Maybe they think of it as their "lucky" site or some such, but they know.

-MD
Old 08-14-2007, 12:48 AM

The fish typically only notice how quickly they bust-out.

Whether they make $6 vs. $7 in RB in a given session doesn't matter to them at all and doesn't make much difference to keeping them at the site longer.

Changing it from the way most of their loyal players prefer and driving some of them away actually does effect the traffic.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your logic has been partly refuted imo.

There are only a handful of players there as it is.
If they switch to contributed they will lose some of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree there will be a net loss of tight-playing pro/semi-pro types at first. They'll return if/when the site grows to offer reliable good games. I acknowledge that these players have value to the site and that losing them is not to be celebrated. But I think the net effect on the site of moving to contributed in the long run will be beneficial.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i recently withdrew most of my acct. i was a shorthanded limit grinder, but i'm switching to nl right now.

I really would like to play at wpex. I can't though.

I don't mind the software
I don't care about huds
I don't care if rb is contributed or dealt
I don't mind emailing support for Aces hands
I don't play the freerolls

but

I can't find a game. get some players and I'm back in a flash. until then, srry but I'm off to Stars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Regretfully, the same. I could give a [censored] about the 900 supposed issues. Its a great site with good software and the best deal going. Unfortunately, few games.
Closed Thread