Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2007, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Forget NFL network.. ARIZONA ST @ USC

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i posted this in the pac 10 thread but anyone thinks usc doesn't deserve a shot is pretty dumb. this would be like saying the colts didn't deserve to be in the super bowl last year even though it was pretty obvious that they were the best team in the nfl and most of there regular season mediocrity was due to injuries and other nonsense

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem to not understand at all that the 1) the way we determine champions in the NFL and college is different and 2) the way we determine a champion need not be the same as determining the best team. Once you realize this you'll realize that calling everyone "dumb" is in fact "dumb." Now, you might think that a system which determines a champion should be the same as one which determines the "best" team. That's aother argument entirely, but realize that no team sport in America is designed this way, and we like that way. It's okay that the "best" team doesn't win. It's wrong if it's a crapshoot but it's okay to have upsets matter too.

[/ QUOTE ]
this is retarded. we are not arguing whether usc should be in the national championship b/c i obviously understand that they shouldn't. we are arguing whether or not usc would own if there was a playoff and earn their spot in the NCF. i'm pretty sure they would
Old 11-23-2007, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

we are arguing whether or not usc would own if there was a playoff and earn their spot in the NCF.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now you tell me!
Old 11-23-2007, 06:09 PM

Semtex- But what if Booty threw 4 interceptions in a half and the other team's wide receivers played well? Would we need to hold like a sooper sekrit second playoff? How many mulligans should USC get?

USC had an opportunity to earn their spot in the NC game already.

damaniac- I mostly agree, except that the NCAAF system produces the best team as the champion way more often than any other system, so even if that's his concern he's still wrong. Also the Colts went 12-4 last year, so I have no idea what he's talking about them being mediocre.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Semtex- But what if Booty threw 4 interceptions in a half and the other team's wide receivers played well? Would we need to hold like a sooper sekrit second playoff? How many mulligans should USC get?

[/ QUOTE ]
no obviously.

[ QUOTE ]
damaniac- I mostly agree, except that the NCAAF system produces the best team as the champion way more often than any other system, so even if that's his concern he's still wrong. Also the Colts went 12-4 last year, so I have no idea what he's talking about them being mediocre.

[/ QUOTE ]
i didn't say they were mediocre i said there were mediocrities. like letting jacksonville and other teams pwn them on the ground, which no super bowl team should do. even though college system has a good track record i'm not sure how you can argue playoff wouldn't be better. if nfl had a college style system colts play for 3rd place
Old 11-23-2007, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
even though college system has a good track record i'm not sure how you can argue playoff wouldn't be better.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you bring that up because he has shown an inclination towards that position?
Old 11-23-2007, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
even though college system has a good track record i'm not sure how you can argue playoff wouldn't be better.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you bring that up because he has shown an inclination towards that position?

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
damaniac- I mostly agree, except that the NCAAF system produces the best team as the champion way more often than any other system

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-23-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
damaniac- I mostly agree, except that the NCAAF system produces the best team as the champion way more often than any other system

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

USC is on the phone. They want their diploma back.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i must still be drunk. i have no idea what you're saying
Old 11-23-2007, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Post season tournaments crown champions, not act as guarantor of rewarding the best team.

But, AND THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART: asserting that the NCAA's system is better at celebrating the best team than the post season tournaments of other sports is not an argument the NCAA's system is "better" than a playoff at crowning a champion or that the NCAA works better than a playoff might in every instance at determining the best team. I don't know that from that quoted post that damaniac prefers the current system at all-- I'd guess he doesn't.

The second problem is that your cause celebre for argument has evolved/emerged late in an ongoing argument... but that's another kettle of fish.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Post season tournaments crown champions, not act as guarantor of rewarding the best team.

But, AND THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART: asserting that the NCAA's system is better at celebrating the best team than the post season tournaments of other sports is not an argument the NCAA's system is "better" than a playoff at crowning a champion or that the NCAA works better than a playoff might in every instance at determining the best team. I don't know that from that quoted post that damaniac prefers the current system at all-- I'd guess he doesn't.

The second problem is that your cause celebre for argument has evolved/emerged late in an ongoing argument... but that's another kettle of fish.

[/ QUOTE ]
not sure i agree. nfl regular season is much better than ncaa at determining best team b/c ncaa has too much conference play. also, i didn't start this playoff argument, even though i have felt there should be one for a long time. i was just responding to people who said there shouldn't be a playoff b/c that would give usc a chance to pwn even though they lost to stanford