Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 11:40 PM

Default Urgent Technical Help Needed.

Hi Everyone,

Ever since I moved to China a week back, my connection to all the major sites have been horrid. I can remember posting blinds for half my buyin without getting to play a single hand. You name it, I tried it, FT, Stars, Cryto, Prima, UB. I just get disconnected everytime. I emailed support and they are unable to come out with a good answer.

The strange thing here is, I get to surf the web as per normal. I tried reinstalling the softwares yet it still happens. Stars was saying that I suffer from massive packet losses and a extremely high ping rate.

Can someone tell me what to do? I can't play at all yet surfing the web is a breeze. However, when I try to surf sites like www.pokerstars.com, I simply cannot access the site. I believe that is because the site is banned in China. So I decided to use a proxy server and I can access pokerstar's website then. However, the proxy server cannot help me in my playing as I believe my ip is not masked when I try to login to all the poker softwares, therefore, proxy servers does not help at all.

I heard from some members that using a VPN will do the trick, can anyone advise me?

Thank you in advance.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:42 PM

Default Re: Urgent Technical Help Needed.

All chinese internet is going through a massive filter, that whole communist government, etc. If a VPN would work, thats your only hope.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:26 AM

Is there anywhere where I can subscribe to or join a VPN? I think this is my only hope, since I have to be here in China for a few months.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:27 PM

http://socksify.com/
Old 10-16-2007, 09:39 PM

socksify looks like an HTTP proxy and so would only work for web browser requests, or applications that can use SOCKs proxies. I don't think Full Tilt or Stars can do that?

One option is to lease a dedicated server based in the states (prices are on the order of $100 per month), install VMWare server, run windows in a vmware session, and run the poker client from there. You could then use the VMWare client software to access the server and play.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
socksify looks like an HTTP proxy and so would only work for web browser requests, or applications that can use SOCKs proxies. I don't think Full Tilt or Stars can do that?

[/ QUOTE ]

SOCKS is short for sockets, therefore any TCP/IP protocol can be used, therefore you can connect to any external network. Poker sites are external networks, therefore you can use SOCKS to connect to poker sites.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

SOCKS is short for sockets, therefore any TCP/IP protocol can be used, therefore you can connect to any external network. Poker sites are external networks, therefore you can use SOCKS to connect to poker sites.

[/ QUOTE ]

china is pretty good about shutting down proxy access, whether web-based or http

i've run some web-based proxies that got a lot of traffic from china that died suddenly. I'm about 95% sure that any major proxy that advertises is already blocked
Old 10-16-2007, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

china is pretty good about shutting down proxy access, whether web-based or http

i've run some web-based proxies that got a lot of traffic from china that died suddenly. I'm about 95% sure that any major proxy that advertises is already blocked

[/ QUOTE ]

You are most likely correct, but it is worth a shot. Also, it seems like new proxies are added pretty often, so you might be able to stay ahead of the curve.