Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Songs with cool stories behind them

Man, this thread is bringing back the memories!

What about "Billy Don't be a Hero." This great song was released in America by the Heywoods in 1974 as an anti-Vietnam War song. Billy McCutcheon from Columbus Ohio went off to Vietnam and his family (especially his fiance) were gravely worried for him. He was advised to "keep his head low" so that he could preserve himself and come back. Instead, Billy McCutcheon went on to earn the Congressional Medal of Honor and four Purple Hearts during his THREE tours of Vietnam, Special Ops. Tragically, he was mortally wounded by a headshot when he stuck his head outside the latrine asking if "there was any mail for me?"
Old 11-13-2007, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Phil Collins - In The Air Tonight

It's about a guy who could've saved that other guy from drowning. But didn't. Phil saw the whole thing and at a show he found him.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eminem lyric duder. Maybe I'm being triple-leveled though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't recognize the lyric. Figured it could be a joke, but blinden posted the joke already, so, yeah.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:21 PM

Notorious BIG - Gimme the loot

its about robbin people
Old 11-13-2007, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
... although I do hate 'Beautiful' by James Blunt, as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a real good start. FFK, what are your thoughts on Coldplay? Nickelback? Led Zeppelin?
Old 11-13-2007, 04:28 PM

Thank You Jack White (For the Fiber-Optic Jesus That You Gave Me) - Flaming Lips

I think the story is pretty well covered by the title, I just think it's funny that it became a song.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to have to go with "Pinball Wizard," which is about a boy named Tommy who can't see, hear, or speak, yet was the best Pinball player in England. Its really exceptional and amazing. This all took place in the 1920's and 30's. I can understand that pinball machines then were not as complex as they are now and that the tilt mechanisms were not as sensitive. Still, to beat other players when you are blind is really amazing - I guess he really did become "one with the machine!" lol!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty cool, but I think the story behind "Monster Mash" is even more impressive. Apparently this mad scientist was working in his lab late one night and his monster got up and started dancing. Then a bunch of other monsters showed up and there was a big party! Really crazy stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm. That sounds made up, please provide a link or something.

Here's another one. "Seasons in the Sun" by Terry Jacks. This one is about a man who is dying and he is saying goodbye to everyone. It is heartbreaking. He actually had cancer at the time and he went on a real "farewell tour," but because of his illness, he only had energy for that one song and he only appeared as an opening act.

In any event, his "tour" lasted only five weeks, until he died. As an added layer, the song "American Pie" is about the day Terry Jacks died of cancer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um no:

The Day the Music Died refers to February 3, 1959, a date on which a small-plane crash near Clear Lake, Iowa, United States, killed three popular American rock and roll musicians: Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson, as well as the pilot, Roger Peterson. The phrase was coined by Don McLean in his 1971 tribute song about the crash, "American Pie".
Contents
Old 11-13-2007, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Notorious BIG - Gimme the loot

its about robbin people

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey! Cool!
Old 11-13-2007, 04:37 PM

"I Don't Like Mondays" was a UK number one single for four weeks in July 1979. Written by Bob Geldof and performed by The Boomtown Rats, it was the band's second number one single.

Geldof wrote the song after reading a telex report on the shooting spree of 16-year-old Brenda Ann Spencer, who fired at children playing in a school playground across the street from her home in San Diego, California. She killed two adults and injured eight children and one police officer. Spencer showed no remorse for her crime, and her explanation for her actions was "I don't like Mondays."
Old 11-13-2007, 05:00 PM

Coldplay? Like... but definitely in the Delilah category
Nickelback? Hate.
Led Zeppelin? Love.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:39 PM

Hey Man, Nice Shot by Filter

The song became notorious, as it was believed to be honoring the January 22, 1987, public suicide of Pennsylvania state treasurer Budd Dwyer, who shot himself during a press conference with a .357 magnum. A May 1996 interview with Filter in Addicted to Noise magazine and an official statement by the band confirmed this. Many have speculated that it could also be a lyrical paean to Nirvana's Kurt Cobain, who committed suicide. Filter explained in an official statement:

The song 'Hey Man Nice Shot' is a reaction to a well-documented public suicide. It is not a celebration or glorification of taking one's own life. The phrase 'hey man, nice shot' is a reference to the final act itself, an expression of guts and determination of a person standing up for what they believe is right. We are extremely sensitive and respectful to the family and friends of Mr. Dwyer. We have both lost friends to suicide and felt nothing but sympathy and loss for the victims, and those involved in such a tragedy.