Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Other Gambling Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 12:36 AM

Default ? on how to adjust bet size based on KO count; few other ?\'s too

Ok I havent really played too much blackjack but I know the basic strategy and my girlfriend and I had some fun at it at AC lately so I wanted to learn a simple counting system:

I looked at Hi/Lo but I'm not sure I could also keep track of how many decks were left (any tips for doing that???) [If I just assumed that each player and dealer used 3 cards on average and used that to dertermine how many cards are used would that work well enough or no?.]

So I'm looking at KO. As I understand it you start count at (0 for 1 deck, -4 for 2, -12 for 4, -20 for 6, and -24 for 8: Is that right?) and count 1 for 2's-7's and count -1 for tens and Aces. Then as the count goes above 2 you raise your bet and as it goes below two you lower your bet. However, I haven't been able to find any guidelines or any explanation on how to calculate exactly how much you should raise your bet, etc. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:56 AM

Default Re: ? on how to adjust bet size based on KO count; few other ?\'s too

Sorry; how do the betting ramps at this site look? Also what do those index values mean?:

http://www.qfit.com/OKStrategy.htm
Old 08-13-2007, 01:14 AM

index values are pivot points when you begin deviating from off-the-top basic strategy (you would do whatever is logical knowing that the next card being a ten is more likely than usual).

best thing to do is probably buy the actual "Knock-Out Blackjack" book. that will have all the info you need, including the bet spread techniques.

counting cards isn't going to make a big dent with Atlantic City blackjack rules, though Borgata is probably the one place at least worth trying it. first try and understand (perhaps without ramping bets first) why KO or Hi-Lo works first, then build your aggression accordingly.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
index values are pivot points when you begin deviating from off-the-top basic strategy (you would do whatever is logical knowing that the next card being a ten is more likely than usual).

best thing to do is probably buy the actual "Knock-Out Blackjack" book. that will have all the info you need, including the bet spread techniques.

counting cards isn't going to make a big dent with Atlantic City blackjack rules, though Borgata is probably the one place at least worth trying it. first try and understand (perhaps without ramping bets first) why KO or Hi-Lo works first, then build your aggression accordingly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you say it won't do much in AC cause of deck penetration issues? Ah...I don't really wanna spend the time reading the book and practicing a little (when I could be playing poker) if it's not really gonna make a difference. If that's so I guess I'll just play basic strategy, take my -1%/-2% disadvantage and just have my drinks and fun.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:44 AM

No, you can't do that for hi/lo.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll just play basic strategy, take my -1%/-2% disadvantage and just have my drinks and fun.

[/ QUOTE ]
since when does basic strategy have a "-1%/-2% disadvantage"? I'm guessing you may not even know what the exact term "basic strategy" means. it's not just some generalized term like "I drive a car" for people who THINK they know all the correct BJ plays.

if in doubt, run through the free training programs at hitorstand.net and blackjackinfo.com and see how you do.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'll just play basic strategy, take my -1%/-2% disadvantage and just have my drinks and fun.

[/ QUOTE ]
since when does basic strategy have a "-1%/-2% disadvantage"? I'm guessing you may not even know what the exact term "basic strategy" means. it's not just some generalized term like "I drive a car" for people who THINK they know all the correct BJ plays.

if in doubt, run through the free training programs at hitorstand.net and blackjackinfo.com and see how you do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I guess it's more of a -0.5% disadvantage when the true count is one (overall what is it...a -5% disadvantage...I don't know but I know it's pretty close to 50/50)????? I'm not entirely sure....but I also may make a mistake here or there in my play too. Anyway:

Basic strategy:

If dealer has a 6 or lower stay on 12 or higher.
If dealer has a 7 or higher hit on 16 or lower.
Double down with 11 except when dealer shows an A.
Double down with 10 except when dealer shows an A or ten.

Exceptions:
Hit a 12 against a 2 or a 3
Double down with a 9 against a 3-6

Playing aces and pairs:

A2 = Double vs. 5,6
A3 = Double vs. 5,6
A4 = Double vs. 4-6
A5 = Double vs. 4-6
A6 = Double vs. 3-6
A7 = Double vs. 3-6; STay vs. 2,7,8; Hit rest
22 = Split vs. 2-7
33 = Split vs. 2-7
44 = Split vs. 5,6
66 = Split vs. 2-6
77 = Split vs. 2-7
99 = Split vs. 2-6,8,9

I'm like 99% sure that's correct...but if something's wrong I'd love for you to point it out.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:55 PM

basic strategy is still a losing game...probably over half a percent off the top with the best rules