Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2007, 05:15 PM

Default 16s: Getting short with 99 facing a TAG raise

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (6 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB (t5260)
BB (t715)
UTG (t1285)
MP (t2985)
CO (t2120)
Hero (t1135)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t300</font>, Hero ?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (8 handed) Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver Cards)

Hero (t1140)
SB (t2450)
BB (t1360)
UTG (t1610)
UTG+1 (t2305)
MP1 (t1885)
MP2 (t1480)
CO (t1270)

Preflop: Hero is Button with , .
MP2 raises to t300, Hero ?

Both villains are TAG here. I still do not understand these type of spots.

Pardon the FTR format, that convertor always gets me and I already deleted the text file.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:22 PM

Default Re: 16s: Getting short with 99 facing a TAG raise

If they are really tight than I think I'd fold in both spots.

I doubt that the TAG will fold and your hand doesn't do great against his likely range.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:44 PM

It's close. My instinct tells me to push the first one and fold the second one. This because i expect to see a bit more strength from mid position in hand 2 than from cut-off in hand 1. Also, there are less players in the first example and you are short, so you need do make a move very soon here - just as well do it now.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:04 PM

I guess it just comes down to how tight they are, loxxii, as I think we have near zero fold equity in each case. There was a point where I was folding AJo from the co at t100, and KQs as well, so I'm pretty sure you'd have been ahead of like 1 or 2 hands in my range and flipping or crushed by the rest. For the most part I'm a bit laggier now, so I guess if you had his pfr filtered for this level it would at least give us something... then pokerstove or SNGWIZ ftw. Hand 2 I'm folding every time to practically any tag, and hand 1 I really want a read on what villains pfr to 300 means-- i.e., does he also raise to 250, or does he raise bigger with high vulnerable pairs, like JJ (that crush us), etc. I guess if I'm unable to get a good read and villain is tight in hand 1, I'm just folding and hoping he shows down. I play 20-25 tables and don't have a hud that works with my outdated computer, but I'm writing down pfr notes on tags like crazy in these situations (I drag the active table onto a 2nd or 3rd monitor or else the others keep popping up in front of it, then battle with stars stealing the focus as I try to finish the note as I manage to time out on all the other tables).

I guess my gut instinct is hand 1, TT+, AK... AQs is probably better than TT, but I may or may not shove it... probably. Hand 2, I want JJ+, AK. We still have over 10 bbs and have really lost any fold equity if villain is decent, so we have to be ahead of his range.