Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Were you going to pay the $10 for live stats on Yahoo?
Yes, what fun is it without live stats? 18 66.67%
No, I'll just check in Monday and see if I won or lost 7 25.93%
I'm not sure. 2 7.41%
Just show me the results / I'm not in the league 0 0%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-09-2007, 11:59 PM

Default Re: ~~~ OFFICIAL YANKEES 2007 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS OR BUST THREAD ~~

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pavano looked well above average...

[/ QUOTE ]

you are [censored] retarded. great, he looked well above average - his ERA for the year is still 4.76. In fact, that's a pretty good over/under for his ERA for the year, though taking the over still seems like a safe bet.

Jaret Wright had plenty of starts like this - if Pavano strikes out 2 batters per 7 innings, he is not likely to have great success.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's zero reason to call anyone retarded, as Karak said.

What you're saying though, doesn't make much sense. Yeah, 4.76 ERA... through two games. Great sample size. Sure, it's 4.76, but the guy hasn't thrown in over a year, and for anyone who hasn't thrown in as long as he has, these first two starts look as promising as anything.

Since when do you have to strikeout every player to have great success? Wang had great success last year, and he hurled exactly 1 K for every 3 IP.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you are [censored] retarded. great, he looked well above average - his ERA for the year is still 4.76. In fact, that's a pretty good over/under for his ERA for the year, though taking the over still seems like a safe bet.

Jaret Wright had plenty of starts like this - if Pavano strikes out 2 batters per 7 innings, he is not likely to have great success.

[/ QUOTE ]

What you're saying though, doesn't make much sense. Yeah, 4.76 ERA... through two games. Great sample size. Sure, it's 4.76, but the guy hasn't thrown in over a year, and for anyone who hasn't thrown in as long as he has, these first two starts look as promising as anything.

Since when do you have to strikeout every player to have great success? Wang had great success last year, and he hurled exactly 1 K for every 3 IP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was out of line calling him retarded - I apologize.

Wang is an anomaly and forces more ground balls than Pavano.

He has the rest of his career as a good sample - his career doesn't look like Roger Clemens. It looks like an average pitcher. Hopefully he can provide us with around a 5 ERA who can get into the 7th enough so our terminally overworked bullpen doesn't have to throw a million innings again this year.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wang, if he can keep up his success at his current K rate, would be the exception rather than the rule. He is a much different pitcher than Wang. Pavano doesn't have a 92 mph hard sinker.

Every other pitcher in the big leagues needs to have at least approaching average strikeout rate for prolonged success, and the lower end of the spectrum needs to be accompanied by very low walk totals. There have been some exceptions in history (Tom Glavine comes to mind), but Carl Pavano is not Tom Glavine.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:18 AM

Pavano sucks...we shoulda bid higher for DSake...though I doubt even the Yanks would have thought to bid 60 million.

Pavano and Igawa = the suck

Moose, Wang, Andy = good
Old 04-10-2007, 12:34 AM

I saw Pavano pitch against the Padres his last year with Florida. I never saw a more dominant performance in person. It was like a little league game, the pitcher was the baddest dude on the field. I think he allowed two hits, complete game. He hit a monster home run, like 420 feet over center at Petco. When the Yankees signed him, I thought they had a winner. I could be wrong and its just pure speculation, and maybe you guys discussed this already, this is the first time in this thread, but he looks smaller these days in a Sosa kinda way.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

4.76 e.r.a- so this means he didn't look good today?

jareght wright- completely different, couldn't pitch more than 5 innings

strikeouts- he's a sinker ball pitcher Ground ball double plays are way more important for him than strikeouts

[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, he looked good. that is what average pitchers do - they look good one game, and bad the next. this is why they are average. I was excited to see Pavano have a good game, but these games will be rare. His ERA should hover around 5 until he invents an injury to put himself on the shelf.

[/ QUOTE ]

i say he looked above average

you say three things (all of which are irrellevant or make no sense)

I tell you why you make no sense

you respond with somewhat of a nothingess response attacking his injury woes

did i miss anything?

btw he DOES throw a hard sinker, he has A LOT of upside
(compared to an "average" pitcher)
Old 04-10-2007, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
im a huuuuge a-rod fan so it's great to see him doing so well

[/ QUOTE ]

And Mr. April was born...
Old 04-10-2007, 10:09 AM

On Wang:

We had a big discussion last year about whether he could sustain his success or not. Many guys point to his poor K ratios (all around) and say there is no way you can be successful with such low K rates.

However, there's two things about Wang:

First of all, he rarely gives up home runs. The only Yankee that gives up less home runs than Wang is Rivera.

Second of all, not all ground balls are created equal. With Wang's heavy, heavy sinker, batters are hitting the ball directly into the dirt in front of home plate. This creates slow, easy-to-handle grounders, even for a poor defense.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:37 AM

Location: ***yankees offseason thread*** oh and Gd River Ave Blues

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
im a huuuuge a-rod fan so it's great to see him doing so well

[/ QUOTE ]

And Mr. April was born...

[/ QUOTE ]

a win in april is as good as a win in september.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

i say he looked above average

you say three things (all of which are irrellevant or make no sense)

I tell you why you make no sense

you respond with somewhat of a nothingess response attacking his injury woes

did i miss anything?

btw he DOES throw a hard sinker, he has A LOT of upside
(compared to an "average" pitcher)

[/ QUOTE ]

i suggest stopping now - you will only make yourself look foolish. The fact is, Pavano is not a good pitcher, and he's working with a terrible defense that has to make plays for him to be any good. Whether or not he stays healthy - his ERA will not be very low. I hope for more starts like this - but I don't expect them.