FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Would You Participate in a weekly Prison Break discussion
Yes 21 77.78%
No, I watch the show but wouldnt participate 4 14.81%
No, Don't care! 2 7.41%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2007, 05:25 PM

Default Re: Stars VIP Wild speculation

This thread really has just become a conversation between MicroBob and Pokerboy, with random interjections from someone else occasionally [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2007, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some other things to consider...

This "package" is just that. It's not just a high stakes donkament. It's a vacation. I assume that you would be taking your wife? I would be taking mine...and likely my 2 step-sons too.

The cost of 4 plane tickets to Europe would be much more for me than tickets to the Bahamas. (I live in Florida). I'm not sure about the difference, but I assume it would be in the 1k to possibly 2k range. (Maybe someone with a better idea could chime in).

I know my family would have a blast at the Atlantis. And I also know that there are plenty of things to do in Las Vegas. My wife even has a close friend nearby that she would like to visit. So strangely enough, even though the EPT package is the best value, if I were to make Elite it might be the one I opt-out of.

Ideally Stars will see the dilemma they are putting us in and change the program to just give us all 3. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously, there is zero comparison between Atlantis and Monte Carlo.

Atlantis: Food = terrible. Rooms = poor. Service = abysmal. the Bahamas is crime ridden. The whole place is tacky beyond belief. I don't care if I never go there again. The only good thing is the weather.

Monte Carlo. Rooms = amazing. Better than the suites at the Bellagio. Food = superb. Service = absolutely first class. The tournament structire is far better too. The city is delightfiul and no chance of getting mugged or robbed. The only downside is everything is very expensive.

My grade for the two experiences.

Monte Carlo A+
Atlantis F
Old 10-04-2007, 05:39 PM

I don't think that is a fair assessment of Atlantis.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think that is a fair assessment of Atlantis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe not. I went with my gf and young baby and the airline lost our luggage. The hotel gave us less than no help and were almost dismissive of our plight. If you can imagine a year old baby with no change of clothes and no nappies (diapers) you could understand how frustrated we became.

Also the drains backed up into our bath... when we complained bitterly the response was "Don't worry, it will be cleaned up later". If such a disgusting thing happened anywhere else, I'm sure we would get upgraded to the most expensive suite.

When you consider the Monte Carlo package is nearly twice as valuable you really need your head examined if you choose Atlantis over it.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread really has just become a conversation between MicroBob and Pokerboy, with random interjections from someone else occasionally [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

hi grouchie!!!
Old 10-04-2007, 07:16 PM

That doesn't sound like a pleasant experience. Mine was nothing like that. The first time I stayed at a hotel that no longer exists next to Atlantis but spent most of my time there. After that they comped my next trip. Room was nice for what you'd expect in the Bahamas. Crossing over to the main island was the only part of the trip that I didn't enjoy.

I wouldn't choose to go again as they don't have poker and for the same price you can go to a Grand Lido which is much nicer in every respect but for a tournament or for free I'd go again.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:01 PM

camel - thanks for the input.
I knew Monte Carlo had to be a really nice experience also but hadn't heard much about it.
Atlantis sounded pretty awful from your experience there but my guess is that this may have been the exception. It can't be that bad for everyone who's looking to have a really nice resort-style vacation.

How long is the package in Monte Carlo?
Atlantis is 7 or 10 days or something, right?
Old 10-04-2007, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
camel - thanks for the input.
I knew Monte Carlo had to be a really nice experience also but hadn't heard much about it.
Atlantis sounded pretty awful from your experience there but my guess is that this may have been the exception. It can't be that bad for everyone who's looking to have a really nice resort-style vacation.

How long is the package in Monte Carlo?
Atlantis is 7 or 10 days or something, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

This was the second year we had been to Atlantis. The first trip was moderate but obviously not as bad as this years experience, Even those who've enjoyed Atlantis will agree, I'm sure, that the service is way below what you would expect at an American hotel. The food was the equivalent of the buffet at Sam's Town; ie: edible but you wouldn't rush to go back.

I believe both trips are 7 days.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:29 AM

I think the Caribbean has a different idea of service. At a different 5 star resort my dry cleaning was delivered to the wrong room. When I called about it instead of correcting the problem they told me what room it was in and that I could get it from them. I've come to judge hotel service on a relative scale.

My point with Atlantis is that it isn't a complete hole like most places in Cuba / DR / Mexico. For the Bahamas it is the best and nicest option but that isn't saying much since the Bahamas are pretty low on the regional hierarchy.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:46 AM

Update:

Upon further consideration I have decided not to attempt SNE next year. I will, however, be setting other goals which may include the 750kVPP mark.