Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 04:35 AM

Default virus in party update ?

Just sent this mail to support and vip host.

"I get the following message when I open PP :

"Some players have reported issues with the display of dates in our client and we are working full speed to resolve this issue. Should you have similar issues like getting old dates, please see our troubleshooting page describing how to solve the issue."

I have indeed had problems with the dates in the client.
Internet explorer takes me to http://www.partypoker.com/download/index_t.htm when I click the troubleshooting link, I then download http://www1.partypoker.com/Downloads...PokerSetup.exe, but my antivirus, Avast, tells me it contains a Trojan Win32:Trojan-gen. {Other}.
Please explain.

Regards."

Anyone having the same problem ? Is it just their thing monitoring mouse and keyboard action ?
I'm waiting for their response to dl.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:55 AM

Default Re: virus in party update ?

There has been a flood of trojans coming out of china recently, mostly Graybird variants coming from a Trojan creation kit released there earlier this year. The antivirus companies aren't keeping up and are widening their behaviour based heuristics, which means they will hit more false positives with applications which monitors mouse, keyboard or screen (also some dataminers such as fphg)

Anyone concerned should be emailing Party and insisting that all executables are downloaded from an SSL secured site and you should be checking the little padlock thingy when downloading an update.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:37 AM

So i downloaded it, and gave it permission to acces the internet. Should i withdraw my funds?
What it do?
Old 08-20-2007, 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So i downloaded it, and gave it permission to acces the internet. Should i withdraw my funds?
What it do?

[/ QUOTE ]
Most likely (95%+) it's just a false positive and there is nothing to worry about. Party uses some pretty intrusive methods to try to detect illegal programs running and it's most likely this that is being detected - send an email to whoever makes your virus-killer and ask them to look into it.

Juk [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2007, 03:19 PM

"Juk"

****There has been a flood of trojans coming out of china recently, mostly Graybird variants coming from a Trojan creation kit released there earlier this year. The antivirus companies aren't keeping up and are widening their behaviour based heuristics, which means they will hit more false positives with applications which monitors mouse, keyboard or screen (also some dataminers such as fphg)*****

I had a few problems with the new party update also.Basically party crashes then re-opens str8 away.Probally done it 6/7 times in last 2/3days.I mailed VIP they looking into it.

The user desribing trojans/greybird variants,should we be worring about programs such as fphg getting infected?Im a noob just sounds concerning [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Juk"

****There has been a flood of trojans coming out of china recently, mostly Graybird variants coming from a Trojan creation kit released there earlier this year. The antivirus companies aren't keeping up and are widening their behaviour based heuristics, which means they will hit more false positives with applications which monitors mouse, keyboard or screen (also some dataminers such as fphg)*****

I had a few problems with the new party update also.Basically party crashes then re-opens str8 away.Probally done it 6/7 times in last 2/3days.I mailed VIP they looking into it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've had one of these too, but luckily I only had 2 tables open at the end of a session and it didn't cost me too much.

[ QUOTE ]
The user desribing trojans/greybird variants,should we be worring about programs such as fphg getting infected?Im a noob just sounds concerning [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
I do everything I can to make sure that my PC stays safe, but can never be 100% sure... Try to make sure that you run SnoopFree+ProcessGuard aswell as a virus killer - at least this way you have a chance of picking up a new trojan that the virus killer doesn't yet know about.

I still think the problem with Party is much more likely to be a problem with their aggressive banned program detection methods than a real Trojan though (IIRC, Party has been detected as a Trojan before and even listed as spyware in some anti-spyware apps...).

Juk [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2007, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I still think the problem with Party is much more likely to be a problem with their aggressive banned program detection methods than a real Trojan though

[/ QUOTE ]

By all reasonable definitions of the term, Party *is* a trojan! - it records your keypresses, mouse movements, and captures your screen, then transmits such to a remote server.

The only difference is that we allow it to run to participate in the games they offer.

So while it pays to be cautious, do not be surprised if the heuristic detection methods of modern AV programs identify this security breach as such.

If you are downloading from the real partygaming servers, chances are it it safe.. lol no guarantees tho [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

dave.