Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2007, 11:40 AM

Default Re: New Mets hitting coach: \"This is Rickey, calling on behalf of Ric

Greatest leadoff hitter in baseball history, and could probably make a few top 10 all time players lists.

And since when is a hitting coach supposed to be a 'role model'? lol
Old 07-13-2007, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And since when is a hitting coach supposed to be a 'role model'?

[/ QUOTE ]

This Mets team has a hard time hustling and the Mets want to hire a coach that did not hustle as a player.

I can see it now,

Rickey to Lastings Milledge

"Rickey said run, it don't matter that Rickey didn't run none too hard as a player do what I say playa not what I done do."
Old 07-13-2007, 12:07 PM

Default Re: New Mets hitting coach: \"This is Rickey, calling on behalf of Rickey\"

Hi Cornell Fiji,

WFAN in NY reported this morning that the Mets will most likely hire Howard Johnson as their new hitting coach, and Rickey will work as a consultant or perhaps 1st base coach.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:10 PM

I'd say it's hard to steal 130 bases in 1 year w/o hustling
Old 07-13-2007, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Cornell Fiji,

WFAN in NY reported this morning that the Mets will most likely hire Howard Johnson as their new hitting coach, and Rickey will work as a consultant or perhaps 1st base coach.

[/ QUOTE ]
Rickey as first base coach? OMG I would never miss a Mets game again!

There were some wild rumors recently about Rickey coming out of retirement this year to play here in St. Louis. I never took them seriously though, but GOD how I wish they were true. Rickey is pure entertainment. I can see him now forgetting who Albert is numerous times!
Old 07-13-2007, 02:28 PM

Default Re: New Mets hitting coach: \"This is Rickey, calling on behalf of Rickey\"

[ QUOTE ]
Rickey Henderson was named the new Mets hitting coach.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Sucker believes this is so outstanding on so many levels. The Sucker was missing Rickey.

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, that is the same Rickey Henderson who was playing poker in the clubhouse with Bobby Bonilla during the extra inning game 6 of the '99 NLCS.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Sucker very much approves of this. The Sucker knows that all action went like this: "Bobby-Bo bets..." "Rickey raises..." The Sucker is also sure that poker with Bobby-Bo is more fun than watching some game that The Sucker isn't playing.

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, that is the same Rickey Henderson who, while playing with the A's once asked teammate Billy Beane where he had been for the past month (he had been sent down and recalled a month later).

[/ QUOTE ]

The Sucker would do the same thing.

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, that is the same Rickey Henderson who, while playing for the Mets, referred to Steve Phillips as "yo, GM." On the radio today Steve said that he was confident that Ricky had no idea what his name was.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Sucker wouldn't bother to know Steve Phillips' name, because he's a damned fool. Rickey obviously felt the same way.

[ QUOTE ]
The Mets hired Rickey Henderson as their new hitting coach.

Yes, that is the same Rickey who, in June 1999, when Henderson was playing with the Mets, he saw reporters running around the clubhouse before a game. He asked a teammate what was going on and he was told that Tom Robson, the had just been fired. Henderson said, “Who’s he?”

[/ QUOTE ]

"Who's he?" Exactly.

The Sucker says that Rickey could rake, so gooooooo Rickey. The Sucker thinks he might be able to help others rake, too.

Signed,

The Sucker
Old 07-14-2007, 04:14 AM

Default Re: New Mets hitting coach: \"This is Ricky, calling on behalf of Rick

[ QUOTE ]
f the haters. rickey was the best player of his generation.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, Rickey's the greatest of all time.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My favorite is when he taught jose reyes how to walk in spring training
or when he mentored roger cedeno into being a good ballplayer ... and when ricky left cedeno sucked
and when the mets hired him to be a coach so that players can learn how to play the game hard

[/ QUOTE ]

you are absolutely correct. i cannot vouch for his work with reyes (whose walks are WAY up this year) but what he did as a mentor to cedeno was amazing.

i think this hiring is outstanding. the only concern i would have is if henderson can work with power hitters, particularly aging power hitters who might need to make critical adjustments to survive (i'm looking at you shawn green and carlos delgado).

i wonder why no team has done something like hire two hitting coaches. pairing henderson with someone like eddie murray would really seem to be inspired. i mean there's the possibility that their messages would counter each others, but i assume that you could have each coach work with his own group of players, splitting them up in an intelligent way. henderson works with younger players who need to add elements to their game - guys like reyes, gomez, chavez and milledge - or players with a reasonably similar game, such as beltran. murray would work with the older players who need to make adjustments - guys like the aforementioned green and delgado, and probably jose valentin. presumably players like wright and loduca would be able to figure out who would be better able to help them.

i mean, it's not like the mets are lacking the resources to do this.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
f the haters. rickey was the best player of his generation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that depends on what you define as his generation.