Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2007, 03:51 PM

Default L08 - got jammed w/the nuts

everybody sucks at the table IMO.
UTG tight
MP looser but play decent starting hands.
button tight

6 limpers, i check option: 75J3r in the BB.

flop: 864r
tight UTG bets, 2 calls/1fold, CO raise, v tight btn calls, i call, UTG 3 bets. everybody calls. six way action

turn: Jh, two hearts
UTG bets, 3 calls, button raises, i 3 bet, UTG caps, 1 fold, 2 calls. 5 way action

river: badugi
UTG bets, 2 calls, button raises, i call two hoping for showdown, UTG 3 bets (nope don't get it), 1 fold/1call, button caps. we all call.

how to loss min/win max on this hand? my turn 3bet is good or bad?

by the river, i hated my hand.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:57 PM

Default Re: L08 - got jammed w/the nuts

I don't understand the problem. If I understand the hand history right, you still have the high nuts on the river (no flush, board pairing, or higher straight possible). I'm not sure about the turn 3-bet, since someone else could have 75xx and there are surely redraws to a better high out there; but 5-handed I think I do the same thing. Equity may be hard to gauge but I can't imagine it would be below 20% on average.
Seems like by the river you should love your hand, having dodged all the flushes and board pairings. Did three people have 75xx or something?
Old 06-20-2007, 04:57 PM

By badugi you mean the 4th suit, but what rank? Your 7-5 was still the nuts for high? With 4 players still in, did you think you wouldn't get even one quarter; that 2 others had 7-5 with you?

-Tom
Old 06-20-2007, 05:02 PM

river was black king.

and altho we're multi way, i definitely know i'm looking at one or maybe two other 75s out there.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
river: badugi

[/ QUOTE ]Howzit - Do you mean a non-paired diamond? But if so, could be 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (in which case you lose the nuts on the river). But you write "jammed with the nuts" and also "by the river, i hated my hand," making it unclear.

I'd hate the hand all the way to the river unless it's the nuts on the river. But then I'd love it.

[ QUOTE ]
how to loss min/win max on this hand? my turn 3bet is good or bad?

[/ QUOTE ]Not clear if you're check/calling on the flop and river. (I presume so).

On turn are you check/re-raising? (I presume so).

With six limpers, there's a good chance somebody has flopped the same straight as you. I don't see how you can tell if the betting/raising is coming from the flopped-straight, nut-low, or both. Hard to say what to do. Your line of play seems not unreasonable.

Buzz

edit: I wrote the above before reading your response to Jively. So you have the nuts on the river, but considering the looseness of the game and the betting, may well be quartered by an opponent. I'd take that chance and go ahead and raise.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:23 PM

You have the nuts on the river. You bet. When you get 1/4'd, you chalk it up to the price of playing poker.

The amount occasionally lost by betting the river is more than made up for by the times someone is playing less than the nuts.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:38 AM

you desceibe UTG and button both as tight. so when UTG leads into four people, three people call, and UTG raises, you decide to three bet? this is gross for many reasons. call here. however, when you still have the nuts on the river in a multiway pot, go ahead and put the lid on it.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:27 AM

A fold should be considered on the flop. You have the nut straight. In Omaha/8 small and medium straights (with nothing else) are often money losers. You are playing only for half the pot as you have no low. You have to dodge full houses, flushes and bigger straights to win high. With a straight you will often be sharing the high side.

On the flop the tight player UTG bets, the CO raises and the very tight button cold calls two bets. At this point I would figure someone else also flopped a straight. You do not have any redraws to a stronger hand. So now it looks like you will get 1/4 the pot or nothing. You are also out of position. I would fold and wait for a better opportunity to get my money in.

- chaos
Old 06-21-2007, 08:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A fold should be considered on the flop. You have the nut straight. In Omaha/8 small and medium straights (with nothing else) are often money losers. You are playing only for half the pot as you have no low. You have to dodge full houses, flushes and bigger straights to win high. With a straight you will often be sharing the high side.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

I had this situation about 2 weeks ago. In the BB, I had 67xxr flop comes 589 with 2 hearts. Check-folded because the action was 8-way and I didn't want to get in a situation where I had to dodge 20 or more cards twice. Plus with the low draw potential, chances were I was only going to get half the pot. I can get my money in in better situations.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:20 AM

basically what txred said sums it up, imo. no need to get put in 3 on the turn w/the two tightest guys putting in bets.

as for the river, might as well just cap it w/the nuts. if i get quartered or worst, so be it.