Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2007, 11:10 PM

Default Ridgeline, Tacoma, Tundra?

I'm looking for recommendations for buying a new truck. My girl and I both have two aging sedans with a ton of miles on them nearing the end of their lives, and we both want a bigger vehicle. We're also moving into a house soon and something that can actually carry furniture and other goodies would be extremely convenient. Relying on her parents' SUV wouldn't be too terribly fun.

We're both pretty set against American cars, and it looks to me like the Tacoma, Tundra, or Ridgeline are my first choices. I've always had a Honda ('97 C-RV and '99 Civic), but I've also always preferred how the Toyotas drive. My only concern with a Toyota right now is it seems like they're running into some quality control issues? Maybe not, but I've been hearing a lot of negative things about them recently.

This would replace one of our vehicles so it'd get a lot of driving beyond just when a bigger vehicle is needed.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm less set against an American truck than my gf is, but it's not out of the question. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:16 PM

Default Re: Ridgeline, Tacoma, Tundra?

Tacoma, Tundra if you need the half ton. I've never heard a single good thing about the Ridgeline. Nissan Frontiers are supposed to be pretty good too, but they ride rougher than the Toyota. You could always buy a 2005 or something and avoid any quality control they might have in 06 or 07 if that is the case, and save a ton of money. My brother drives a Tacoma and beats the hell out of it and loves it.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:27 PM

From what I understand the Honda is sort of a car based truck-unibody chassis. Its supposed to drive very nice and has a good ride, etc. but its not very heavy duty. The Toyota 's have V8's, full frame, 4wd with hi-lo range, and I think they look better. The Honda probably gets better gas mileage, but I'm not sure about that.

If you want a real truck go with Toyota, if you want a car-like truck with some truck capabilities, go with the Honda.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:28 AM

Good lord, please don't classify the Ridgeline in with these real trucks. They are garbage, it's a unibody car chassis with truck looking body panels.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:33 AM

tacoma if you want smaller and tow less than 20 foot boats and trailers. tundra for v8 and larger cab. tacoma 20mpg tundra 15. both are great trucks and the way to go unless you really need big.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good lord, please don't classify the Ridgeline in with these real trucks. They are garbage, it's a unibody car chassis with truck looking body panels.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not convinced we need a "real truck." Thanks for the responses so far, anything else? I'm not sure that I can get myself to buy a new car, so perhaps an 05 or so Tacoma is what we'll end up with.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:12 PM

Get the Tacoma crew cab 4x4 with the longer bed(you can get a longer bed, theyre hard to find though...) They are great trucks, and the newer ones are extremely nice inside. Lexus actually designed the interior of the newer Tacomas, and it shows. If you want a truck to beat the hell out of and go mudding and [censored], get the Nissan frontier, its an unbelievably well built truck, great engine, etc. Tacoma if you want something semi luxurious yet still a truck, nissan frontier if you want a truck youre really gonna "drive"
Old 06-12-2007, 12:15 PM

Avalanche >>> Ridgeline, why so against buying American?
Old 06-12-2007, 12:56 PM

Are you going to be buying the house you are moving to or renting it? If you are buying, I would advise against buying any vehicles until after the purchase of the house. People run into trouble when buying a house. They go out and buy new vehicles to go with their new drive way before they buy the house. Their debt-to-credit ratio skyrockets and then the financing on the house comes through at a higher rate which ends up costing a fortune.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want a [b] real truck go American

[/ QUOTE ]