Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2007, 07:07 PM

Default Re: Jailed 2 years for oral sex, Genarlow Wilson finally gets off.

New rule: if the AG appeals and loses, then he has to do Genarlow's time.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:24 PM

Wow.

I had never heard of this case, but it makes me angry. There's so much injustice in this world and it seems the only thing you can do about it is beat your head against the wall until it bleeds.

The fact that the Attorney General wants this guy to serve out the rest of his sentence...just wow. 10 years?

WTF?

Having now read up on Georgia recent laws...that's all I can really say. WTF were these people thinking? Sodomy (oral sex) in the privacy of one's own home is a crime that can carry a sentence of up to 20 years? 20 years? For oral sex?

And get this:
"...the Georgia Supreme Court denied a motion to reconsider its refusal to hear the case. The presiding judge wrote that she was "very sympathetic to Wilson's argument regarding the injustice of sentencing this promising young man with good grades and no criminal history to 10 years in prison without parole and a lifetime registration as a sexual offender because he engaged in consensual oral sex with a 15-year-old victim only two years his junior," but that she was bound by the letter of the law."

That's the biggest load of BS I've ever heard. The laws should be made to serve the best interest of the people, not the other way around.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

That's the biggest load of BS I've ever heard. The laws should be made to serve the best interest of the people, not the other way around.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember reading about this story in OOT the first time, and was equally enraged. I really couldn't wrap my head around how this was even possible. The judge knows this is wrong, but can't do anything about it? I honestly know nothing about the legal system but isn't there some panel of judges or something from around the country that can say, ok, this is just wrong. Lets figure out a way around this? It just doesn't make any sense to me! Perhaps I'm very ignorant about how laws work.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow.

I had never heard of this case, but it makes me angry. There's so much injustice in this world and it seems the only thing you can do about it is beat your head against the wall until it bleeds.

The fact that the Attorney General wants this guy to serve out the rest of his sentence...just wow. 10 years?

WTF?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your problem should be with the morans that wrote and voted that garbage into law, not the attorney general who did his job and prosecuted that guy. He did the crime, he really should do the time. No matter how retarded the law is, he broke it and should suffer the consequences.

That said... lifetime sex offender registration and 10 years for a BJ? Seems like jury nullification would've been about perfect.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:16 PM

Seems like as good a time as any for a pardon.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

He did the crime, he really should do the time. No matter how retarded the law is, he broke it and should suffer the consequences.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you knew about all the garbage old laws on the books you wouldn't say this.

Furthermore there are lots of legal options to not send the kid to jail. A pardon is one. Another which is quite standard is to let him appeal and let him stay out of jail during the appeal. Of course if the appeals are eventually denied he would go to jail, but it could be deferred to house arrest, etc. etc.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:33 PM

another big issue was this guy would be labeled as a sexual predator. This means he would be in the same class as child molesters and rapists. Imagine that over your head for the rest of your life
Old 06-11-2007, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think your problem should be with the morans that wrote and voted that garbage into law, not the attorney general who did his job and prosecuted that guy. He did the crime, he really should do the time. No matter how retarded the law is, he broke it and should suffer the consequences.

[/ QUOTE ]

living with your girlfriend is illegal in most states. There's at least one state where it's not rape if her socks are off. Do you think those laws should be followed too?

That's maybe besides the point. The prosecutor has a ton of discretion. Partly because he/she is supposed to serve the public good and prioritize, and partly because he/she has limited resources.

For example, I was punched repeatedly in the head by a crazy girl and didn't fight back, and had a dozen witnesses all saying I didn't do anything physical to her, AND I got it all on video tape. The DA decided not to prosecute. Although I resent the decision, I can see how it might be justified given that I wasn't seriously injured, and perhaps the DA had more serious matters to attend to.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:35 PM

I am 21 and have sex with 17 year olds semi-regularly. So do many people I know and it is often joked about. I am from California rather than some backwards hick state. Is it still really that bad?
Old 06-11-2007, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I am 21 and have sex with 17 year olds semi-regularly. So do many people I know and it is often joked about. I am from California rather than some backwards hick state. Is it still really that bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

the age of consent here in CA is 18, and you're more than just slightly over the line, so I'd be cautious if I were you.