Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 04:16 PM

Default Re: ***Official Ron Paul video thread***

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I gave 100 units of something to someone today.

[/ QUOTE ]

To whom?

[/ QUOTE ]

I won't disclose details of my contribution activities. I find it in bad taste to advertise one's political affiliations.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh
Old 11-05-2007, 04:20 PM

I did some digging and found this:

[ QUOTE ]
(a) Prohibition. It shall be unlawful for—
(1) a foreign national, directly or indirectly, to make—...
(C) an expenditure, independent expenditure, or disbursement
for an electioneering communication (within the meaning
of section 304(f)(3)) (2 U.S.C. § 434(f)(3));

[/ QUOTE ]
After some more digging, 2 U.S.C. § 434(f)(3)) apparently refers to communications made by anyone promoting or attacking a candidate within 30 days of a primary election. I really don't know whether this has been declared unconstitutional or applies to this particular group (it might only apply to businesses and unions), but bottom line is: maybe, maybe not.

Official regulations in PDF
Old 11-05-2007, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty sure iron just locked it because it was already being heavily covered in here; purely reasons of threadsprawl.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure it was the 'illegality' of it, which I was honestly unaware of.

That said I'm curious (honestly, not being a smart-ass) why this thread is okay but the fund raising threads (two of them) have been locked -- all because this one is hidden under a misleading and derailed title?
Old 11-05-2007, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pretty sure iron just locked it because it was already being heavily covered in here; purely reasons of threadsprawl.

[/ QUOTE ]

That said I'm curious (honestly, not being a smart-ass) why this thread is okay but the fund raising threads (two of them) have been locked -- all because this one is hidden under a misleading and derailed title?

[/ QUOTE ]
This thread is ok because people are not soliciting funds. It is ok to discuss the fundraising progress of the campaign, but not to make posts designed to generate money for the Paul campaign. I locked the other threads partially because of the spammyness, partly because it was illegal and partly because of thread sprawl.

If anyone was linking to Paul's fundraising webpages or asking people to give money in this thread, I don't know anything about that.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that's not it...Iron is making a distinction between soliciting funds (not okay) and talking about your contributions and/or a campaigns financials (okay.) There is a fine line between getting excited about a campaigns growing war fund and encouraging others to contribute.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My impression is that iron has said that just watching a tally, like commenting on the score of a football game during the game, is not taboo like soliciting something was.

But just because I don't want to get iron in a twist, I think it would be est-bay if we all uck-stay to the ode-cay. Ixnay on the oneymay.

By the way, I'm so stoked about something that I'm going to something again.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread is ok because people are not soliciting funds. It is ok to discuss the fundraising progress of the campaign, but not to make posts designed to generate money for the Paul campaign. I locked the other threads partially because of the spammyness, partly because it was illegal and partly because of thread sprawl.

If anyone was linking to Paul's fundraising webpages or asking people to give money in this thread, I don't know anything about that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough, though I think my thread was taken wrong. The purpose was similar to what's going on in this thread and to see which 2+2'ers contributed if they felt like they wanted to speak up.

The mention of the foreign donation was because I promised to give him credit where it was due... had I known that was illegal I would have just sent him a screenshot and left that out, but like I said -- the thread where it was all discussed was overlooked apparently because nothing was said about the illegality.

Anywho, my apologies :P Carry on.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My impression is that iron has said that just watching a tally, like commenting on the score of a football game during the game, is not taboo like soliciting something was.

But just because I don't want to get iron in a twist, I think it would be est-bay if we all uck-stay to the ode-cay. Ixnay on the oneymay.

By the way, I'm so stoked about something that I'm going to something again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that three times already today? Your wife must be exhausted.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:55 PM

Wow this day is going to be awesome. I have given
<font color="orange"> ************************************************** 100 GOLD STARS FOR FREEDOM******************************************* ******* </font>
Old 11-05-2007, 05:19 PM

By the way, will the graphic adjust by the time we hit 6 million? For psychological reasons, we don't want it to seem TOO close to "winning" the day.