Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 06:32 PM

Default Re: Wii has sold more than we thought

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

It was Nintendo's choice to stay in the SDTV era while its competitors moved on, now they have to live with the shortcomings of doing that. Fair has nothing to do with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wii graphics shouldn't be reviewed in comparison to HD graphics but rather compared to the other SD systems or previous Wii games. At the very least reviewers should deemphasize the weight of graphics in Wii reviews.

[/ QUOTE ]I don't agree with this. They are making HD TV's and DVD players for a reason. People care about the quality of the picture. Like it or not, the Wii's graphics pale in comparison. I went to my cousins house and saw the Zelda game on his HDTV. It looked horrible, and for me, that would be a major deterent. For certain games, this isn't an issue. For example, Wii sports looks absolutely fine, as do most of the older N64, SNES, and NES games.

Again, this is all about what people prefer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Zelda is not a good example of the Wii's ability. I think Metroid is a better example of what Wii games will all look like in a year. Have you seen Mario Galaxy screens? It's clearly not up to 360 levels, but it's good enough for most people.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They are making HD TV's and DVD players for a reason. People care about the quality of the picture.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Again, this is all about what people prefer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you were posting this in a sub-thread argument and not a vacuum, but these still seem like silly points to make in a thread about Wii's dominant sales figures.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The solution is actually far more simple. Stop posting crap posts arguing about dumb [censored] (yes this post is ironic)

[/ QUOTE ]

So your solution is to have others censor themselves from discussing topics they find interesting rather than for YOU to ignore the posts you don't find interesting?

This is ridiculous.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't agree with this. They are making HD TV's and DVD players for a reason. People care about the quality of the picture.

[/ QUOTE ]

People care about picture quality to an extent. My point is that picture quality has very little effect on whether or not a movie or game is good.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The solution is actually far more simple. Stop posting crap posts arguing about dumb [censored] (yes this post is ironic)

[/ QUOTE ]

So your solution is to have others censor themselves from discussing topics they find interesting rather than for YOU to ignore the posts you don't find interesting?

This is ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, TSC, when did you get so nitty? I thought I was the nitty former Newport Hills person. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-26-2007, 07:52 PM

I am not being nitty. At some point, discussing the Wii, 360, and PS3 became a political discussion, which is super gay and I want that trend to stop.

I am not being ridiculous at all.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am not being nitty. At some point, discussing the Wii, 360, and PS3 became a political discussion, which is super gay and I want that trend to stop.

I am not being ridiculous at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's no more 'super gay' than in a sports forum somebody talking about why they think their favorite team will do well this season and their classic rival will do poorly. People do pick 'favorites' in consoles, and people always want their 'favorite' to do well. If you don't want to read about it, then don't open threads that obviously are going to be related to such.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:52 PM

I always thought Attach rate was about how many things are actually bought WITH the console, not how many games the console has sold. I would venture to say a HUGE chunk of Wii systems are bought with zero games added on.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:35 AM

If I was a game maker, I'd only care very slightly if a customer bought my game w/ the console vs. purchasing it a week later. I guess there might be some stat about games bought immediately with the console, but what matters at the end of the day is games/console.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:05 AM

I tend to agree with TSC "At some point, discussing the Wii, 360, and PS3 became a political discussion, which is super gay" but I personally just avoid or glance through those threads really fast.

In gaming competition is good for the industry. The industry does better as a whole if there is more than just one outlet for their products. I hope the Wii continues to do well, and hope the ps3 catches up, as it pushes these companies to be more innovated, and helps drive prices down.