Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 04:41 PM

Default Taking a Year Off After Graduating...

* Cross-post from Student Life *

Anyone done this, or know anyone who has done this? I'm on pace to graduate a year early, in Spring of 2009, and I really don't like any of my other options. I could start working right away (ew!), or I could stick around for another year of school (but it feels like I'd just be throwing another $30K down the drain). But if I take a year off, I'm afraid it might [censored] up my chances of getting a decent job if and when I do actually start looking for one.

So I guess ideally I'm looking for some sort of year-long community service program or something, which would give me plenty of free time to play poker (i.e. I need the Internet, which rules out anything in undeveloped, 3rd world countries) or just chill, while also looking legit enough that it's marketable to potential future employers. Any input or ideas would be greatly appreciated...

Edit: If it matters, I have a 3.9 GPA, and I'm working toward a B.S. in Econ/Math and a minor in Comp Sci.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:52 PM

Default Re: Taking a Year Off After Graduating...

So you would be leaving school before finishing your degree?

Your titles says after graduation but in the text you talk about doing another year of school.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:57 PM

If you're on time to graduate early, take that year off to do things you enjoy such as poker or learn to invest or intern somewhere. And if it doesn't work out, you're still free-rolling and will be on pace with the rest of your classmates.

One thing I must note is that once you start making money and enjoying a nice life, graduate school is no longer an option. I don't think I can go to school even if someone pays me a salary to do so.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you would be leaving school before finishing your degree?

Your titles says after graduation but in the text you talk about doing another year of school.

[/ QUOTE ]
I can complete my Econ/Math major and Comp Sci minor by Spring of 2009.
I could stay in school for another year to pursue a second major or minor.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One thing I must note is that once you start making money and enjoying a nice life, graduate school is no longer an option. I don't think I can go to school even if someone pays me a salary to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

so am i completely retarded for going back to school (and paying for it) after "making money and enjoying a nice life"?

i'll admit that it's not easy though. not being able to do what i want, when i want kind of sucks. but i guess having a real job would have the same drawbacks.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Anyone done this, or know anyone who has done this? I'm on pace to graduate a year early, in Spring of 2009, and I really don't like any of my other options. I could start working right away (ew!), or I could stick around for another year of school (but it feels like I'd just be throwing another $30K down the drain). But if I take a year off, I'm afraid it might [censored] up my chances of getting a decent job if and when I do actually start looking for one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having worked in Human Resources for a pretty large corp., I wouldn't reccomend doing this. Most of us in the "real world" see college as a great time of life. You shouldn't need a year to decompress from it.

I'm not saying that you won't be able to get a job after the year is over. However, that year gap in your resume isn't gonna help, as employers will view you as someone who isn't a go getter. From their POV, you should be anxious to start your career.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:39 PM

If you do this something like living in a different country to learn a foreign language may not look that bad. Not really sure though.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Having worked in Human Resources for a pretty large corp., I wouldn't reccomend doing this. Most of us in the "real world" see college as a great time of life. You shouldn't need a year to decompress from it.

I'm not saying that you won't be able to get a job after the year is over. However, that year gap in your resume isn't gonna help, as employers will view you as someone who isn't a go getter. From their POV, you should be anxious to start your career.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for reminding me why I really hate human resources. Completely idiotic people (not saying you are) making completely idiotic decisions. Do people in HR actually think about how they evaluate things?
Old 10-16-2007, 07:58 PM

I recomend using the year to try to start a business. It wont look bad on a resume and you might actually be able to do something you like.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so am i completely retarded for going back to school (and paying for it) after "making money and enjoying a nice life"?

i'll admit that it's not easy though. not being able to do what i want, when i want kind of sucks. but i guess having a real job would have the same drawbacks.

[/ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't say retarded. But why would I go to school to learn about "stuffs" that I can learn on my own by reading books? It's not like the professors will say something so profound that it will change my life.

More importantly, I probably won't use whatever degree I am trying to get so it's more pointless for me. But if you're currently working at a company or a teacher or whatever job that you're doing, an extra degree might increase your pay.

My mother loves PhDs because that's what Asian mothers do and I would use the quote from DL Hughley. "a BA, a master, and a PHD. But even with all those degrees, you're still working for me."