Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 05:17 PM

Default misc questions about starting workout routine

i have very little knowledge in this area so i thought i'd get some guidance here.

my current routine is just pushups 3x a week. i try to do a set of elevated, elevated wide, elevated close, and regular pushups each day but usually only do 2 or 3 of them. each set is 20 pushups, split up into 8, 6, 4, 2.

working during the week means i usually have little energy and time to do a more complete workout. currently i am only interested in my upper body. i am 5'11" and 145 lbs.

1. is my pushup routine fine or are there ways i can improve it?
2. what results can i expect? will i get bigger or is a dietary supplement necessary for that? without it, will i only gain strength and definition?
3. what are some exercises i can do to exercise the muscle groups that pushups don't hit? (i have no equipment nor access to a gym). are pull up bars the easiest way to address this?
4. if i do do exercises for biceps, etc., how do i alternate between those and pushups? should it be

pullups / day off / pushups / day off etc.
pullups / pushups / pullups / pushups etc. or
pullups + pushups / day off / pullups + pushups / day off

thanks, i appreciate it.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:43 PM

Default Re: misc questions about starting workout routine

Your pushup routine is fine only if you are training for some kind of pushup contest.
Results? I wouldn't expect too much except that you might get very efficient at performing bodyweight pushups. Getting bigger is a function of your diet mostly but a pushup only routine is going to put on mass at a snail's pace.
Pullup bars are good, right now you're only doing a push exercise, pullups will give you a pull exercise. I know you say you are only interested in your upper body, is there some specific reason for this? Your lower body has your largest muscle groups and traditionally mislabeled "leg" exercises like squats are actually a total body exercise and help to put on mass all over your body.

Unless your training for a pushup contest your current routine is garbage. And even then it's not good at all. You're 5'11 and 145...I'm guessing you'd like to gain some size and some strength too. Unless you make a commitment to a barbell or kettle bell program it's going to be hard to get those goals.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:21 PM

You're not going to get much knowledge from this thread. Read the FAQ, follow the links around and read the longer threads in this forum. Oh and start eating cause you are a skinny bastard.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:59 PM

like i said, i don't have the time for the 5x5 or whatever routines are in the FAQ. i want to know what's the best way to set up a good workout just staying at home.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:01 PM

There really aren't any good mass gaining workouts that you can do from home. You just need to eat. You'll get enough stimulation standing up.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
like i said, i don't have the time for the 5x5 or whatever routines are in the FAQ. i want to know what's the best way to set up a good workout just staying at home.

[/ QUOTE ]

Either you want results or you dont have time to do a program that will lead to results.

Any little bit helps but if you're going to go halfass, and staying out of a gym/adopting a better program is doing just that, expect results of the same caliber.

And why the heck did you post this without reading the FAQ?!?!
Old 07-10-2007, 11:28 PM

turbulencetraining.com

highly respected trainer, bodyweight programs...
Old 07-10-2007, 11:35 PM

To explain:

Its hard to get enough intensity in your program after you gain basic strength. You can make up for this with volume (think auto mechanic forearms or the shoulders on a gymnast), but given your time constraints you're essentially [censored].
Old 07-11-2007, 09:13 AM

OP,

If time is your reason for not lifting, you're on the wrong track. You'll get more bang in a shorter time than you will doing what you're doing now. I mean the 5x5 and Rippetoe only take like 3 hours/week. If for saome reason you just enjoy bodyweight stuff, that's fine. We just did this thread and there are some good links there. But don't think you're going to have the same results and it's difficult for skinny guys to put on a lot of weight doing bodyweight stuff. But as Smiley said, you really need to eat more. That will have a bigger impact than what workout you're doing anyway.

Also, if you're just averse to going to the gym, you can always get a cheap bench, rack and some weights. Or, if it's a space issue, try Kettlebells. They're a lot of fun, you can definitely build some muscle with them, and they don't take up much space. Kettlebell Thread.