Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2006, 12:17 AM

Default Couple of interesting hands one against Arbianight in the $150+13 FTP

1. Hand 1

I am well aware that he is a very good player, but the check call could be a wide range of aces that don't have me beat in which he could lead in so that he doesn't have to commit a lot of chips with a check raise. So I mad the call on the turn to freeze him hoping he would check a weak ace behind and I would reevaluate if he shoved or made another bet. However, the J came on the river which would trump a weak two pair so I felt obligated to look him up. Let me know what you guys think.

2. Hand 2

Here I decided to lead because I don't like to let my opponent just cbet w/ a wide range of hands. I feel that the lead here defines his hand more. With this coordinted flop I felt like he would raise w/ any over pair, set, and even a straight. Therefore I felt like his call was fairly weak and tried to take the hand away on the turn. Let me know how you guys would have played it. Thanks.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:23 AM

Default Re: Couple of interesting hands one against Arbianight in the $150+13

Welcome to the forums.

If you want advice on your hands it is probably best that you post the hands in your origional post. Most 2p2ers do not like to click on links to read your hands.

Also, when you post here please don't post the results of the hand as that will bias the feedback that you recieve
Old 11-20-2006, 12:28 AM

In hand 1 the money is all going in once you get to the river and your call is fine.

I would probably fold preflop but there are other posters who say that your preflop raise is fine.

If I raised preflop I would probably check the flop for pot control reasons as you are either drawing to 3 outs or your opponent is drawing to 2 or 3 outs.

The turn call is fine but only if you are planning on calling a river push if you did not spike your jack as the villain's line indicates that he is setting up a river push. Did you have a plan for the river when you called on the turn? Were you going to bet if you did not hit the jack and he checked into you?
Old 11-20-2006, 12:33 AM

In hand 2 I hate your early position limp with ATs. This is a -ev play.

I really hate your out of position call after you were raised pf.

If I got to the flop I would probably check hoping that he made a continuation bet with AKs and then check-raised all in. Your flop lead is not going to get a fold out of him with AKs because he has odds to hit his 6 outs.

Once you get to the turn you have 2 options:
open-push
or
check/fold

The best play here is opponent dependant and I would check/fold or open-push with about equal frequency.

Once again. Welcome to the forums. I hope that we can make you a better player and in turn you can help us more about our game.

-Steve
Old 11-20-2006, 02:55 AM

Thanks for the welcome Cornell. I greatly appreciate it. Just curious as to how to include a hand history from pokerhand.org for example within the post. I know a lot of people like having the images for simplicity purposes, and it doesn't seem as though they pop up here.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:14 AM

There are several online hand history converter programs both online and offline.

The one that I use can be found here:
http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php

Just copy the hand history from your computer and paste it into the converter. Make sure that the settings are set for 2+2 fourms (second option on the pulldown menu) and make sure that show results is not checked. If you are in a MTT then it is often helpful to check the "highlight all bets" and "mark important stacks" boxes. After you convert the hand just copy/paste the output into the thread.

If your site of choice is not compatable with this program then you can find another one online or you can just retype the hand.

To show suits just type (without a space before the second colon)
:club :
:diamond :
:heart :
:spade :
and
[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

will show up. Note that the suits are not plural (it is :heart : not :hearts

All the best,
Steve

edit: also as a new member to the forum you should check out the FAQ stickied on the top of the MTT page. There are a lot of links to quality threads that can be found in those stickies and I highly reccomend reviewing them
Old 11-20-2006, 04:57 AM

Hand 1 preflop and river are fine, in between is debatable. Honestly against a good player in hand 1 turn is a fold given that you obviously have a big ace and he's still leading into you.

Hand 2, preflop is fine, but everything postflop is bad. Leading the flop for a PSB is not good against a reraiser when you have a naked one card draw. And the turn is especially bad.

Learn to size your bets better. Don't be lazy and just use the "bet pot" button. It's very exploitable.