Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 09:32 PM

Default Re: Got a PM about \"Natural Rights\"

[ QUOTE ]

Instead of alerting society perhaps i can simply remove his hands from my bike and continue my day?

[/ QUOTE ] Sure, go ahead. If you are pretty sure it won't hurt him and people will think it's fine that you did it, it's probably worth the risk.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I have to carry a camera around with me at all times and be an expert photographer just to protect myself? What a fascinating society you have. Well, since people don't do this and won't want to, my point stands.

[/ QUOTE ] You're not making any sense. At all times? How will someone steal your bike from you while you're using it? If someone applies force to you, you can apply force to them obviously. If someone threatens you with a gun or something, obviously all bets are off.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Instead of alerting society perhaps i can simply remove his hands from my bike and continue my day?

[/ QUOTE ] Sure, go ahead. If you are pretty sure it won't hurt him and people will think it's fine that you did it, it's probably worth the risk.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm actually pretty sure it will hurt him and that people will think it's fine that I did it.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:35 PM

What puzzles me about your post here is why you feel the desire you do to argue so intensely in favor of ACism or donate money to Ron Paul or engage in political activity at all. Given the "the evolution of society", "natural laws" and the fact that "social norms evolve to reduce costs" it follows that ACism will simply come into existence when and if and only if it contains the system of social norms that are best at minimizing costs at that particular time and place, and disappear just as "naturally" when it no longer does.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What puzzles me about your post here is why you feel the desire you do to argue so intensely in favor of ACism or donate money to Ron Paul or engage in political activity at all. Given the "the evolution of society", "natural laws" and the fact that "social norms evolve to reduce costs" it follows that ACism will simply come into existence when and if and only if it contains the system of social norms that are best at minimizing costs at that particular time and place, and disappear just as "naturally" when it no longer does.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the bold will never be, anywhere, anytime.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm actually pretty sure it will hurt him and that people will think it's fine that I did it.

[/ QUOTE ] Like when we throw criminals in jail and people think it's fine. Or when we execute them. Physically harming people is not fine.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Like when we throw criminals in jail and people think it's ok. Or when we execute them. Physically harming people is not ok.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stealing is not ok either. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2007, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Like when we throw criminals in jail and people think it's ok. Or when we execute them. Physically harming people is not ok.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Two wrongs don't make a right. And stealing is a much more vague and complicated term than inflicting physical harm.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Two wrongs don't make a right.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you propose? i haven't done my homework so i must ask.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Two wrongs don't make a right.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the stupidest cliches ever. the intent of punishment/retribution/revenge isnt to "right a wrong". (Also there are proably some truth tables you could construct where two "wrongs" do imply a "right", lol)