Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2007, 01:31 AM

Default Re: Calling myself into oblivion...5 live full-ring 25/50 hands...

Hi Dave,

[ QUOTE ]
anyone have any more thoughts on the hands other than...this is the best game ever?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. It sounds like you're trying too hard in this game. Getting tricky with a guy whose range is huge when opening for 20x the BB, calling a tenth of his stack in EP with 86s, just tighten up and get the money ffs.

It's also been suggested to you before, but it really seems like a lot of the problems you're having come from not being sure what to do because of how deep you're playing. I don't think you'd have too many questions about the hands above if you had ~100BBs in front of you to start.

I realize that you're likely killing these games, and so you're liable to be resistant to toning things down, but I'm just suggesting that you'd be doing even better if you weren't in one long series of spots where you're just guessing wtf these guys are up to this time.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
this sounds like the best game in the history of the world

[/ QUOTE ]

lol no kidding.. wtf is going on im just so confused reading these hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
you have obv never played in new york, every club at every limit has insane action, i have played 5/5 games that are 300 open raise every hand, i have seen 10/10 games where the open raise was 1k, its kinda sick

[/ QUOTE ]

guess i should make a trip to ny sometime in the near future..

[/ QUOTE ]

anyone have any more thoughts on the hands other than...this is the best game ever? The game is good, but the variance is sick...for example, the night of the hands in quesition i had my biggest losing night live ever in a single session.

and obv. u need to be invited.

[/ QUOTE ]

dave, ill post some comments on the hands tomorrow, been drinkin too much tonight to have anything helpful to post. ill throw up some thoughts on a hand by hand basis tomorrow.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:43 AM

1. Fold preflop. KJo OOP vs. good, tricky opponent for a 12xbb raise?!

2. Reraise preflop but when you play for set value - dont go broke to JJ/TT here.

3. Bet the flop. On the river now though, I dont know. He probably puts you on KK/QQ and is maybe trying to make you fold. Flip a coin?

4. I raise turn here but as for now I fold the river.

5. I think this is a fold vs. all sane players. Versus this guy its still a very tough call. I fold.

I agree with cero_z in that you almost outplay/out-think yourself in these hands. Why not play a bit more straightforward giving yourself easier decisions?

By the way, I like your posts a lot. Thank you for posting.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:50 AM

1. id fold but i feel like its pretty close-depends on meta game and his barrel frequency etc

2. ez fold no? i like jcs flop check...

3. i think with this sick action a flop bet really makes the hand easier to play-as played i think its 50/50

4. i call but id call, quickly-if i knew more about his top pair/flop tendancies (assuming knowledge is appropriate)

5. this one im pretty lost in...
Old 05-27-2007, 04:34 AM

1) Why you wanna play kjo against a tough player oop for 12xbb? If the game is that wild, you could find a better spot. I like c/r tricky opponents, but the preflop raise takes that play away. You c/r, you commit. The way you played it, I don't hate your call on the flop. You've got a lot of bluff cards on the turn... Hold on, you said he knows you are capable of the big bluff? Well, then... uh, don't call with KJo OOP. In this case I would have lead the flop.

2) Take the 2K down preflop with a 4K raise. The way it went down, you wanted J high, you got it. 2.5k into a 4k pot? Everything about the way you played this hand is weak, so does that mean this guy could come over you with KQ, AJ? I don't think so, I guess I'd fold. However, 2-1 looks mighty tastey.

3)Checking in pos with drawy flop? Weak. Especially if the ace was a diamond. His hand range is pretty open on the turn, so the call isn't terrible. Quick bet + Over bet on river is beautiful against an average player. Is this guy average?

4) Is this guy, who's stuck, and PFR, really going to check a Q on this flop? A set maybe, but just a Q? I doubt it. I think you gots to call the river, with the lone Q off the board his range is just too good to fold, and if he has QT or TT your F'd

5) Move in dark after he just calls preflop.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:51 AM

Hand 1: FOLD preflop. I would probably fold turn- also if you play with him often you would have a good idea of where he is at in this hand.

Hand 2: You can obviously beat KQ/AJ which might make a play here- Also, he expects you to reraise preflop with JJ+. I would probably call this hand.

Hand 3: Read/Conditions dependent. Depends of your assessment of his current mood/previous few hands.

Hand 4: Seems like an easy call. BAD call preflop for 20BB.

Hand 5: Sick- Have no opinion on this hand.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

NYU Dave makes it 1k to go from early position, player to my right calls, I call with 86cc .................................NYU only had around 10k to start the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yuckmouth!

Seriously though, it's a 25-50 game where 1 guy limps, next guy raises 1K etc etc. Don't you think you'd be alot better off just playing boring/simple poker and waiting for a big hand and jamming as much $$$$ in as you can.

At the risk of sounding nitty...... I'd fold all except hand 4. Why are you looking to get 200, 300, 400BBs in a JUICY game when your basicly hoping to pick off a bluff.

Also- how do you get invited to a game like this?
Old 05-27-2007, 07:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

NYU Dave makes it 1k to go from early position, player to my right calls, I call with 86cc .................................NYU only had around 10k to start the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yuckmouth!

Seriously though, it's a 25-50 game where 1 guy limps, next guy raises 1K etc etc. Don't you think you'd be alot better off just playing boring/simple poker and waiting for a big hand and jamming as much $$$$ in as you can.

At the risk of sounding nitty...... I'd fold all except hand 4. Why are you looking to get 200, 300, 400BBs in a JUICY game when your basicly hoping to pick off a bluff.

Also- how do you get invited to a game like this?

[/ QUOTE ]

probably not by being a nit.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:14 AM

I just wanted to say I enjoy your posts dlpnyc21. Not that I have any idea, but I would:

1. definitely fold preflop
2. fold
3. fold
4. fold
5. puke and call??? this is the tough one I think, sick spot
Old 05-27-2007, 09:34 AM

Typical psycho NYC cash game with large pf raises, sounds easy on paper until you sit down at these.

Hand 1 - fold preflop but after fold river

Hand 2 - pf you know obvious answer but given range after 4 callers preflop to $1k (standard in this game) I FOLD to the ALL IN with zero confidence if this is correct but would be read based...

Hand 3 - bet flop is marginal, I like raise on turn but fold rvr

Hand 4 - I have to call given action

Hand 5 - wtf this is sick fold