Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 11:54 AM

Default Foxwoods 20/40

Two different hands - same villain.

Hand 1

Seat 4 straddles (a blind raise preflop from UTG who can then reraise if it comes around to him). He is not good, although the table (I believe) is a little tougher than the usual lineup at the Woods.

I'm in seat 8 and find K 4 of diamonds. I think there's a pretty good chance I can get it heads up with him (with position) so I raise to 60. Folded around to the small bind(villain), who caps at 80. The straddler calls the additional 40 and I throw in 20 more.

Flop comes 9 high with 2 diamonds. Checked to me so I bet, small blind calls, original straddler calls.

Turn is a 10 (not a diamond). Small blind now leads out. Straddler calls, I call.

River is a four (not a diamond) giving me a pair of fours. Checked to me, I check.

Small blind shows pocket 2s, straddler folds and I take down the pot with my 4s.

Hand 2

2 limpers (UTG limper is the villain and 2nd limper is not good). I decide to make a play for this pot and raise from late position with 5 3. Both limpers call.

Flop comes 442. Checked to me, I bet, Big Blind calls, limper folds.

Turn is a 10. Big blind leads out. I've still got my openended straight draw and I call.

River is a 3 or a 5 (I don't remember) but it gives me two pair (with the 4s on the board). Big Blind leads out, I call, he shows King Queen and I take the pot with my two small pairs.

At this point the villain starts bitching down the other end of the table about the fact that I am a calling station, too bad he couldn't get me to lay down my 5 high, etc.

I understand that trying to bully a couple of limpers with 5 3 may not be the smartest move but I was just mixing it up a bit and don't play these types of hands all the time. I just thought the timing was right.

The Villain in both hands is a winning player who is a regular in the game who I have been friendly with. I know that he doesn't think much of how I play and is usually pretty civil about things even when he disagrees with my play.

For whatever reason it really annoyed me that he was giving me [censored] at the table. At one point during his mumbling I felt the need to comment to him that he can't buy every pot and once in a while he has to show a winning hand.

I guess my questions involve the play of the hands but, more importantly, the conduct of villain and my need to comment.

I left the game that day up a couple of hundred bucks (after being down 500-700 most of the day) after a nice run before I had to leave but I was still sort of pissed off about the whole situation.

Is the usual friendly banter just a show (he's friendly with almost everyone there) and true colors were what I saw at the table that day? Do I act all chummy with him next time I see him and act like nothing or do I pull him aside and tell him to shut the [censored] up about my play while we're at the tables?

He's a 2+2er and will probably read this but I just really felt he was out of line.

All comments appreciated.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Foxwoods 20/40

this is just something that you have to get used to, the regulars in this game are the most miserable [censored] on the planet. especially the winners - tons of the bad to ok players are nice, fun guys, but the regular 20-50 hr/week winners are just going to be [censored] all the time. the guys that play for a living are the absolute worst - especially if you are a good player, I think. there are some guys that are nice or decent to the fish but a total prick to me.

I was up like five racks in a game last weekend and should have been on top of the world but I was so miserable at how one player in particular was treating me I had to rack up and leave.

I don't think there is anything to do but just ignore it, honestly.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:19 PM

if you are anything but a high school girl i would let this go and play on
Old 05-29-2007, 12:22 PM

wtf jba, your posts seem to have validity to them usually - is this leveling? you leave because someone berates you? thats great for your game/profit, go get'em when they call you a fish/donkey etc... (for those who are fans of puns...) it is a clear invite to valuetown!
Old 05-29-2007, 12:54 PM

Joeyt, yes the usual friendly banter is a show and yes the true colors were shown. JBA nailed it pretty much. He never berates the fish but will berate those who are strong players and aren't part of his clique if he sees the chance, and yes it can seem nasty and you never see it coming. I believe this is partly a show also. That game is where he makes his living and if it became populated with tougher players, he'd have a hard time making it.

It worked for me, I never play it in the day anymore even though I beat it handily and decided to learn NL. The money aint worth the aggravation and headaches.

BTW, your'e play was fine, and probably he knows this on some level.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At one point during his mumbling I felt the need to comment to him that he can't buy every pot and once in a while he has to show a winning hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
ftl.

p.s. fold PF x 2.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:12 PM

Both hands are pretty bad preflop but you got there both times. Just banter back @ him. Most of the disgruntled regulars I see @ various card rooms have no tilt control when they get beat by an unknown. Its def +EV to get these guys PO'd @ you b/c they play decent to start with and their game usually deteriorates.

BTW, the banter is all a show. I do it myself. "NH sir" after he rivers 2 pair against me. In my head I'm thinking "damn fish just cost me $300, he's so lucky and I can't wait to bust him".
Old 05-29-2007, 01:44 PM

5 3 is one of those hands you can make a play with in late position after everyone has folded. Not when you have 2 limps. Limit is a game of showing down the best hand.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:00 PM

The play of the hands, from 2 2+2ers, is a bit baffling to me. K-4 is a good hand with which to lose money, and capping from the small blind with 2-2 is not wise.

More interesting, though, to me, is both of your reactions to the hands. Live poker means you're with a group of people in a small geographic area for a few hours. If one can't be congenial, one should be silent. Any comment about another person's play, other than to compliment him, is out of line and not smart. If somebody gives you sh*t, simply ignore him. If you can't, get up from the table and take a breather.

The other day, I had reason to believe, from a physical tell, that my pocket kings might be beat on the river on a very non-threatening board. I checked behind two other players and my hand was good. A player not involved in the hand, laughed and said, "You check that on that board? What were you afraid of?" I simply told him I made a bad play and agreed with him when he continued to analyze how bad it was. Inside of fifteen seconds he was done and that was that. Next hand.

It's easy to be nice when things are going well, the mark of a man is how he is when thngs aren't going so well.

Be a man.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wtf jba, your posts seem to have validity to them usually - is this leveling? you leave because someone berates you? thats great for your game/profit, go get'em when they call you a fish/donkey etc... (for those who are fans of puns...) it is a clear invite to valuetown!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm like 75% sure the guy I'm talking about does this on purpose to tilt others and I'm not sure that he plays much worse than usual. and it's going to work on me to some extent, there's not really any way around that. if someone can be a complete [censored] to you, blatantly and to your face - well if you can ignore it and not play differently whatsoever, more power to you. but what's the use? I play this game for fun, and 95% of the time it is, so why put up with this when it's not?

obv if the game is out of the ordinary phenomenal or it will cut down my playing time then I wouldn't leave. but on a saturday night I'm either going to go to sleep at 2am and wake up at 10am or go to sleep at 5am and wake up at 1, so it doesn't really matter if I left. I don't feel like putting up with the aggravation. I wouldn't be surprised if he does this on purpose to make better players leave.