Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: A player is cheated if his opponent ever calls the clock on him when the opponent has the nuts
Yes 0 0%
No 47 100.00%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-10-2007, 12:08 AM

Default Re: The Official NHL Playoffs Thread

.........But they will all be close, hard-fought series of course.

(with exception of Buffalo in 2, lol).
Old 04-10-2007, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nowhere did I state the series will be a piece of cake. Stating the Sharks will win in 5 or 6 doesn't mean the series was easy. A series can be decided in 4 games and still be close.

Forwards are close, Nashville might have better depth but San Jose's very top-heavy and has a quality defensively responsible line. The size is also a HUGE advantage for the Sharks. Timmonen and Zidlicky are going to be having trouble the whole series.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bluef0x,

your extreme sharks optimism is nice, but way out of line. I think the sabres have the best chance in the east of making it to the finals, but i'd only put their chances at ~ 30%. Theres variance, injuries can kill a team (see buffalo last year) goalies can get hot etc.

Of the teams with what i consider to have &lt;10% chance of making it to the finals, i'd put both the Sharks and Lightning in that group. Thorton's really gonna let you down in the playoffs again. The Sharks are def not a favorite against anaheim or vancouver. And concerning the lightning, in the "new" nhl, you can't win with 3 good players.

stealthcow-
Old 04-10-2007, 01:47 AM

Stealthcow,

Please update your sarcasm software, learn what a homer is, and know that predictions can't be out of line. "SHARKS ARE DEF NOT A FAVORITE AGAINST ANA OR VAN" ... lmao. Did I say they were the favorite? NO, IT'S A [censored] PREDICTION. Jeezus christ, why don't you all go take pinnacle's money if you guys know the outcome of every series?

Thanks.
bluef0x-
Old 04-10-2007, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Predicting a 4-game sweep does not necessarily imply a belief that one team is clearly dominant. Touche.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet your the guy that looks at the score sheet, sees that Player X didn't score and immediately says "OMG X IS A CHOKER!" How about you watch some games, then decide?

Stealthcow,
Yes... Joe Thornton will let me down. I'm glad you know the future and my emotions. I was not disappointed with him last post season, fyi.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:03 AM

Game G A P +/- PIM Sh Sh % TOI FO%
May 17, 2006 vs. EDM 0 0 0 -2 0 5 0.0 24:58 37.5

OMG JOE THORNTON IS A CHOKER!
Old 04-10-2007, 03:59 AM

Sabres/Isles: Buff in 5.

Forwards? Huge edge to Buff
Defense? Buff
Goaltending? Buff
Special teams? Buff
Intagibles? Buff

The fisherman have been playing playoff hockey for a couple weeks now, but this is a mis-match. Isles D is god awful and is up against the most complete set of forwards in the playoffs. Sabres D is nothing to get excited about, however, and may cost them on their way to the cup.

Devils/Lightning: TB in 6

Forwards? Huge edge to TB
Defense? Small edge to NJ
Goaltending? OMG why ask
Special teams? small edge TB

This is one of my upset picks. Gomez, Elias and Gionta have struggled most of the year. TB is going to have to bring it's A game, but I think they will. Their D is somewhat suspect, but adding O'Brien helps. Holmqvist is certainly going to have to play well, but it's not like NJ comes at you in waves. TB was 3-1 against the Devils this year so they seem to match up well.

Thrashers/Rangers: NYR in 6

Forwards? Small edge to ATL
Defense? Edge to ATL
Goaltending? Big edge to NYR
Special teams? Big edge to NYR
Intangibles? Edge to NYR

Atlanta made a good aquisition in Tkachuk, but a more important one was picking up Zhitnik to bolster what was a pretty weak D. Thrashers have been pretty hot down the stretch, but NY has been on fire. Most importantly, their goaltending has been great. Shanahan back is huge as well.

Penguins/Senators: Ott in 7

Forwards? Even
Defense? Edge to Ott
Goaltending? Even
Special teams? Even
Intagibles? Edge to Pitt

These teams are so evenly matched. I think the difference comes in the fact that when these games go to overtime, the Sens have a wealth of playoff experience to draw on. Sens are also a bit deeper up front in terms of playoff type players like Mike Fisher. Defense isn't really close. Sens much better with Redden and Phillips. The one guy that could change this outcome is MA Fluery. If he stands on his head the Pens could be moving on.

Wings/Flames: Cal in 6

Forwards? Big edge to Wings
Defense? Big edge to Flames
Goaltending? Edge to Flames
Special Teams? Even
Intagibles? Big edge to Flames

Detroit is a good team, but feasting on a weak division all year makes them look better than they are. Calgary is a team with a style built for the playoffs. Add in Kiprusoff to the mix and you have a tough team to play against, especially for a team that tends to implode in the playoffs like Detroit. Bertuzzi and Hasek are wild cards, but I think Calgary really likes their matchup here.

Ducks/Wild: Ana in 6

Forwards? Edge to Min
Defense? OMG why ask
Goaltending? Even
Special teams? Even
Intagibles? Edge to Ana

Yes the Wild have been playing well. But they now have to face a big, tough and mean team game after game. Anaheim will pound the Wild's somewhat weak D into submission. Contrast with two of the best all-time defensemen in history still in their prime and that is where this series is decided.

Canucks/Stars: Van in 6

Forwards? Even
Defense? Big edge to Van
Goaltending? Edge to Van
Special teams? Even
Intangibles? Even

Both teams don't score much. Look for these games to all be 2-1 type affairs. Vancouver is scary good in one-goal games and has Luongo. Canucks D is very good with the emergence of Bieksa and will shut down. The big win over SJ at the tank when they needed it tells you that Van is going to be focused for this series.

Preds/Sharks: SJ in 6

Forwards? Even
Defense? Even
Goaltending? Edge to SJ
Special teams? Even
Intagibles? Even

While Nashville is probably deeper up front, they can't match the Sharks combo down the middle of Thornton and Marleau. This series is going to be a war with tons of hitting. Both teams like to intimidate and neither will back down. Goaltending is going to be the difference here with Nabokov.

Tuco.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Devils FTW. Maybe them being good this year will get me back into hockey. Losing season tickets + strike killed my love for the sport, hopefully some good classic NJ hockey will have me enjoy the sport again. I loved their game on Sunday even though it was a loss.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you kidding? that game was terrible. they got lucky and put two in late - they played abysmal hockey, i almost turned off the TV.

this is not the year to become a Devils fan again. 2009 seems like a good time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it was the fact that I just hadn't seen a hockey game in a very long time. I hate the fact that I only get the flyers here at school. But, why '09? '08 going to be a bad year?
Old 04-10-2007, 07:47 AM

Wow, I guess it's because most of you guys are Easterners, but Minnesota is going to destroy the Ducks. The Wild can easily win the Cup. And this is coming from a Vancouver fan and I hate the Wild.

I thought my team was underrated.

Basically the Wild are the Devils but with Crosby and Malkin. That's not much of an exaggeration either.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Rick DiPietro: Expected to be in goal for Game 1 of the series after missing nine of the last 13 games of the year with concussion woes, DiPietro is the Islanders’ most important player. It was a struggle to win games without him down the stretch and his expected return will give the Isles an emotional lift, in addition to leveling the play between the pipes in the series. DiPietro has never won a playoff series, but in his last cameo – in 2004 against the Lightning – he showed flashes of brilliance, including his first career postseason shutout against the Bolts. This season, the 25-year old went 32-19-9 in 62 games with a 2.58 GAA and a .919 save-percentage.

[/ QUOTE ]

According to NHL.com DiPietro is going to get the nod for Game 1. Doesn't matter, the Isles may steal a game but there is no way they're going to take the series. Sabres are just too deep and too good for them. Nice job on making the playoffs though, although my extra pair of seats would have gotten me triple the value had the Laughs sneaked in.

1 Buffalo vs 8 New York Islanders

Buffalo in 4

2 New Jersey vs 7 Tampa Bay

New Jersey in 6

3 Atlanta vs 6 New York Rangers

Rangers in 6

4 Ottawa vs 5 Pittsburgh

Ottawa in 7

WEST

1 Detroit vs 8 Calgary

Calgary in 7

2 Anaheim vs 7 Minnesota

Anaheim 5

3 Vancouver vs 6 Dallas

Vancouver 6

4 Nashville vs 5 San Jose

San Jose 6
Old 04-10-2007, 08:38 AM

You guys know where I can find TV listings?

edit: VS website apparently has them.