Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2007, 06:08 PM

Default I\'m depressed and I haven\'t played a single hand yet

So here I am thinking that my self imposed exile from limit poker is over after 18 months so I do what it necessary before getting back into it and looking up SSSH to see how the games play at the moment. Now I was always a much better limit player than NL but played NL for the lower swings etc etc. Well I am sick of that now, sure I made a reasonable profit playing up to 1/2NL but I hated the way my game was going so decided to come back to where I am at my best.

I am going to play on Stars as that is where the action seems to be. Already getting my money on there as fast as the site will let me. Primarily playing 2/4 but hopefully once I get a few thousand hands in and get used to limit again, onwards to where I left my limit game, beating it at 3/6.

So I open up the "Stars regs" thread and all is not well in the limit world. Reg after reg, many of whom I remember from 18 months back, are now saying how huge the swings are and that 1BB/100 is almost the holy grail.

So SSSH tell me some nice stories about how despite the swings you still turn a healthy profit. And please try to ignore the fact that yet another multi-tabling sLAG player is joining your ranks. Has the quest for Elite status really turned the tables to junk?
Old 10-01-2007, 06:12 PM

Default Re: I\'m depressed and I haven\'t played a single hand yet

It's true winning is impossible
Old 10-01-2007, 06:20 PM

Leader

lol I saw that thread. .... maybe 1 day if I keep watching enough sneids videos on CR I'll play that high! What about low limit alternatives?
Old 10-01-2007, 06:24 PM

1BB/100 is still pretty nice, just try to get SN asap, and save your FPPs until you do.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1BB/100 is still pretty nice, just try to get SN asap, and save your FPPs until you do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I right in thinking that the SN status can only be acheived over a January - December year so no matter what I do I cannot get it this year or am I reading "calendar year" wrong? Also apart form being able to earn the points quicker for the pressies what does SN really give me? Also how many hands a month do you have to put in to get there?

Sorry for so many newbie questions! [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2007, 07:00 PM

Oh yeah, I was not thinking right, it would be pretty tough to get it before the year end, since you must be starting from scratch. Check the zoo for lots of good SN info. IF you don't think you can grind enough this year to make it, FT is probably better, assuming you have rakeback.

Anyway, the point is, there is still money to be made from playing poker.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:02 PM

imo playing pstars 2/4-3/6 would be a terrible way to make dough. bunch of regulars, tons of blind stealing and hu spots, and like 2.5bb/100 in rake. these games play way differently than the old games of the past. if you do decide to slowly kill yourself, get supernova asap cuz you're going to be living on those fpps during your miserable life playing these games.

look up flaremvp, who i thought was a very solid multitabler, and you'll see even he had trouble with these games this year.

imo these game are surprisingly tough in relation to the stakes. i remember the old pacific and party games where you could beat the small stakes games for 2.5bb+/100 easily even with 4bb/100 rake. now a 1bb/100 wr makes you king of the hill. even if you beat these games for more than 1bb, you really ought to move up.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
imo playing pstars 2/4-3/6 would be a terrible way to make dough. bunch of regulars, tons of blind stealing and hu spots, and like 2.5bb/100 in rake. these games play way differently than the old games of the past. if you do decide to slowly kill yourself, get supernova asap cuz you're going to be living on those fpps during your miserable life playing these games.

look up flaremvp, who i thought was a very solid multitabler, and you'll see even he had trouble with these games this year.

imo these game are surprisingly tough in relation to the stakes. i remember the old pacific and party games where you could beat the small stakes games for 2.5bb+/100 easily even with 4bb/100 rake. now a 1bb/100 wr makes you king of the hill. even if you beat these games for more than 1bb, you really ought to move up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you miss the part where I said nice stories?
Old 10-01-2007, 07:59 PM

It might be worth your while to try to bust out a bunch of hands and make SN by the end of the year. It's just over 1000 vpps/day for the rest of the year, which isn't all THAT much if you can multitable..
Old 10-01-2007, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true and that's why most people try and take shots and get through these two levels as fast as possible, especially 3/6.