Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 02:08 PM

Default ** THE OFFICE DISCUSSION THREAD - THE UK AND AMERICAN VERSIONS ***

Okay, at least three of us decided we want to discuss the first seasons of the UK and American versions of 'The Office', for comparing characters and styles, for discussing how each series evolves, and to have a good laugh. Each season has 6 episodes.

Anyone interested give us a 'yo', and we'll discuss the first episodes (that is episode 1 of each series) on Friday 14th September.

As usual with the Lounge, no problem if you're late to the party, but it is more fun if more people make the effort to catch these and watch them if possible.

I just want to remind everyone that torr<font color="white"></font>ent/shareware talk on these message boards is unacceptable.

So Friday 14th
The Office Season 1 episode 1: 'Downsize'
+
The Office (American) Season 1 episode 1:'Pilot'
Old 09-07-2007, 12:04 AM

Default Re: ** THE OFFICE DISCUSSION THREAD - THE UK AND AMERICAN VERSIONS ***

Yo! I'm in!

as is Kimball I hope (the guy with the very cool avatar [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]). I think we will get more people popping in to share their thoughts with us as we get rolling.

Sooo....

What do you guys think, Pam or Dawn? Who is more real to you?

(Pam, letting her hair down)
Old 09-07-2007, 12:51 AM

Before reading the question I was ready to say pampampampampam: she wins every contest between the two except 'who is more real?' I think. She seems (at least early in the series) incredibly awesome, but also a little too perfect. Or not perfect, really, but just a really awesome character as opposed to a really awesome person.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:10 PM

Reminder: We're discussing the first episodes of both the UK and the US version of The Office tomorrow. Plz watch if you can and discuss tomorrow.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:13 PM

And to answer Katy, they are both very real characters to me. Nothing I can recall in either series rings false about them, and I think for both series there was some awesome casting decisions made that really made these 2 series special.

Dawn I think is the slightly more complex character, but only a bit, and that doesn't make Pam any less real.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:26 AM

"Bears eat Beets"
Old 09-14-2007, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Reminder: We're discussing the first episodes of both the UK and the US version of The Office tomorrow. Plz watch if you can and discuss tomorrow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having seen the UK version 1st, I must say I thought the US ep #1 was terrible. 1, the UK version is just that much better and 2, it was a complete rip-off.

I nearly died at the end when Gervais talks about the Greek guy/baptism but thought it fell flat on the US.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:22 PM

Okay, first things first, I thought I'd say something about the original UK version.

I see the Office as arising from a few strands of both British comedy, with some input by elements of cinema.

First, it's often a comedy of embarassment, pettiness and cringeworthiness. Ths comes I think in a direct line from Monty Python and their sketches where someone is deeply embarrassed or stilted, then filtered through TV shows like Fawlty Towers, The Young Ones, Blackadder, as well as early 'reality comedy' such as The Royle Family (you probably haven't heard of that). It also borrows quite heavily from the mockumentaries of Christopher Guest, most notably Spinal Tap.

That's my take on it, anyway.

Okay, I've seen both of these 2, 3 or maybe more times, so was familiar with both, and have seen all the episodes of the UK version, and the first 2 series of the US version, so am coming at it very familiar with the characters.

Okay, this time I watched the US version and then the UK version. Both made me laugh, but I found them interesting to watch back-to-back, as these two particular episodes are the only ones where the comparable episodes are so very similar. You have scenes, virtually word-for-word the same, in both, and it's interesting to see the different actors/nationalities' take on the script.

I laughed at both. I think they did an awesome job casting both series, and the actors are excellent. I remember the first time I saw the US episode, and I was thinking 'oh they've only picked this "Jim" guy because he's so similar to "Tim"', and I was very underwhelmed by the script parotting the UK version so closely, and didn't think it was actually going to be worth watching any more, but I'm glad to say the second episode, 'Diversity Day' exceeded my expectations by miles, and is in fact one of my favourite episodes of the US version. I wasn't entirely sure about 'Michael Scott' at first, but I loved both Pam and Dwight Schrute from the very beginning.

Overall, I liked both, but the UK one had the distinct edge here. The funniest bit, where Brent is talking to Dawn about his testicles whilst she's eating is priceless, and a scene they didn't have in the US version (shame).

I also forgot how attractive Jennifer was in the UK version, WOOOF!

One thing I love about the UK series is it's a shade more subtle than the US version. I'm sure people could switch this on and watch it for some time without realising it's a comedy not a documentary, but I think you'd catch on a lot faster watching the US version.

One thing I wanted to ask about the US version. Is office life like that for real in the US? (It sure is for the UK version).
Old 09-14-2007, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

One thing I wanted to ask about the US version. Is office life like that for real in the US? (It sure is for the UK version).

[/ QUOTE ]

Certain parts for sure. Like a boss who thinks he's very funny when he's not and people who think (Dwight/Garreth) they have more responsibility than they really have are 2 things I can attest to.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:27 PM

Nice post, db!

I'm a little behind. I've only watched the Pilot episode of the US series. I will watch the UK episode this evening and comment later.

When I first saw this show I was disappointed in it. I thought it was inferior to the UK. But last night I have to admit I laughed pretty hard. It is just ridiculous.

Jim's character doesn't become really endearing until a couple shows into it. In this first show he's likeable enough but he doesn't particularly overwhelm me.

Pam's character in the Pilot appears a little more plain and insecure than I remembered her. Her hair is flat and unexciting and she looks really pale. I don't think they put much makeup on her in this episode. In some ways I liked her better because she seems sweet and unsophisticated.

One of my favorite lines comes early on - You think she looks cute now you should have seen her when she first started here. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I think Michael Scott is completely over the top. Much more so than David Brent who actually seems like a real British dude only in a cringe-inducing way. Michael Scott acts like a buffoon in a humorless office.

That said, I was watching this last night and thinking it was sheer brilliance. I was laughing so hard. Michael walking in slow motion towards his office and then turning around and scolding Pam for not being professional. Lol.

There are parts of Michael that remind me of one of my managers. Trying to be everyone's friend and then turning around and acting like an [censored]. Too funny!