Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2007, 05:54 AM

Default What If There Is a God?

Aren't most of the Atheist attacks on Religion based on the assumption that there is no God? What if there is a God? What happens to their attacks under that assumption? Suppose there is a God and we have been searching for ways to understand him through history in our various religions? Of course we haven't come to much of a consensus yet. But wouldn't that be expected in the situation?

I don't think anyone claims a perfect understanding of God. If they do I think they can be criticized for that. But when trying to understand an infinite God with our finite abilities to understand wouldn't it be expected that we would be where we are right now? With a lack of consensus?

So if attacks on Religion evaporate under the assumption that a God does exist, aren't such attacks being made under the presumption that God doesn't exist? And if so, isn't that just proslytizing the belief that there is no God?

PairTheBoard
Old 05-25-2007, 05:59 AM

Default Re: What If There Is a God?

I think it would be fairer to say that they are based on the conclusion that there is no reason to assume a God, not on the assumption of it.

(edit for tired argument/cliche; exactly as per no reason to assume existence of FSM, replace 'God' with FSM in your text for the same meaning)
Old 05-25-2007, 06:07 AM

A very confusing post.

Most atheist attacks on religion are besed on the assumption that there is no evidence god exists and that it's highly unlikely a god like a Christian God is true. And the fact why atheists care about religion is that they think it's harmful in one way or the other.

Ok, I suppose there is a God. And I suppose that nobody can have a perfect understanding of Him. I suppose that He is infinite and our abilities are finite. Yes, this religious confusion could be expected.

So you're basic point behind all these hypothetical assumptions is that atheism is as dogmatic as theism? I can attack a belief against fairys because it can be seen as irrational or ridiculous because there's nothing to support the existence of fairies. If suddenly fairies would exist and we would notice that then there's no need to attack a belief against fairies because that belief is 'true' by any definition of 'truth'.

Atheists are "attacking" religion because they believe ultimately there's no reason to believe in a god. You may disagree. I think it's fairly justified to "attack" against supposedly incorrect belief with such a status in this world. And so yes, many atheists are trying to convert theists to atheism. Not because atheism is the absolute truth but because it's a reasonable, rational position.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Aren't most of the Atheist attacks on Religion based on the assumption that there is no God? What if there is a God? What happens to their attacks under that assumption? Suppose there is a God and we have been searching for ways to understand him through history in our various religions? Of course we haven't come to much of a consensus yet. But wouldn't that be expected in the situation?

I don't think anyone claims a perfect understanding of God. If they do I think they can be criticized for that. But when trying to understand an infinite God with our finite abilities to understand wouldn't it be expected that we would be where we are right now? With a lack of consensus?

So if attacks on Religion evaporate under the assumption that a God does exist, aren't such attacks being made under the presumption that God doesn't exist? And if so, isn't that just proslytizing the belief that there is no God?

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know what metaphysics are? They are basically assumptions from which belief systems are formed. Christianity comes from the metaphysic of Dualism. Other metaphysics include Materialism, Idealism, and Pluralism. Just because you establish and defend a point of view which is rooted in assumptions doesn't mean you are trying to "proselytize" your audience. You're just pitting your view against others and trying to demonstrate that it is more viable than other points of view.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What if there is a God?

[/ QUOTE ]

Stand up and fight it with all your are capable of. At least you will be displaying humane qualities and stand in solidarity against a monstrous being.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:44 AM

Yeah together we can overthrow God and break free of His imprisonment
Old 05-25-2007, 08:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What if there is a God?

[/ QUOTE ]

Stand up and fight it with all your are capable of. At least you will be displaying humane qualities and stand in solidarity against a monstrous being.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

What are you going to do, throw sticks at him?

HUZZAH! HAVE AT THEE!
Old 05-25-2007, 09:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems a more honorable thing to do than fall on my knees and pander to a monster, regardless of the consequences.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems a more honorable thing to do than fall on my knees and pander to a monster, regardless of the consequences.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even when facing eternal damnation? Sorry, I'm willing to die for my ideals, but burn in hell? [censored] that.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Aren't most of the Atheist attacks on Religion based on the assumption that there is no God?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure what constitutes an attack on religion. It’s common for people to quote religion as an excuse for indulging in highly antisocial acts, with often seems to provoke people.

[ QUOTE ]
What if there is a God?

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
What happens to their attacks under that assumption?

[/ QUOTE ]

Will not change the validity or otherwise of the attacks, but depending on what a god is and the nature of their attack might effect the accuracy.

[ QUOTE ]
Suppose there is a God and we have been searching for ways to understand him through history in our various religions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do humans search for god? Is there any dependency between the reason humans search for god and the existence of whatever they are defining as a god?

[ QUOTE ]
Of course we haven't come to much of a consensus yet. But wouldn't that be expected in the situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. What usually happens is that as techniques for acquiring experimental evidence improve, we find more and more models inconsistent with observed reality. Consider how the various sciences, chemistry, biology, astronomy etc started out as a wide mix of beliefs, which with modern investigation methods have collapsed into an extremely narrow range of beliefs.

[ QUOTE ]
when trying to understand an infinite God with our finite abilities to understand wouldn't it be expected that we would be where we are right now? With a lack of consensus?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. The lack of consensus would be eased by hard experimental evidence and the development of associated predictive models.

[ QUOTE ]
So if attacks on Religion evaporate under the assumption that a God does exist

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you using religion as a synonym for belief in god? I still don’t understand what an attack on a religion is.

[ QUOTE ]
aren't such attacks being made under the presumption that God doesn't exist?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lots of crap goes though people’s mind when they do stuff.

[ QUOTE ]
And if so, isn't that just proslytizing the belief that there is no God?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks just learnt a new word.

In most instances I think I would be doing someone a disservice to disrupt any religious belief they might hold.