Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2007, 08:02 AM

Default Re: Money. Bored. Evolution.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I'll let the various longtime smp posters decide who is most worthy of this experiment in education should there be multiple takers...

[/ QUOTE ]

You should spend your 5k educating kids who still have a chance at becoming an intelligent, rational human being. Why waste time and money with lost cases such as NR?

Of course then again if it's just an experiment I don't know why you used the word "worthy".
Old 05-25-2007, 08:40 AM

the kalam argument. Boom goes the dynamite. where's my 5k?
Old 05-25-2007, 08:51 AM

I have to devour the entire Talk Origins website and regurgitate the talking points on demand?

http://www.talkorigins.org/origins/outline.html

I think to make this easier on both of us, all of the test questions would have to come from a page directly linked here.

I'm not afraid of the truth, if you can provide it.

Despite what you all may think of me, I do not make my statements due to idiocy or perhaps "blind faith in the almighty God, ALLELUIA AMEN!" In fact, I tested in the 99th percentile among my peers all my life. As I'm sure many of you did too, or you wouldn't spend your time browsing forums such as these. The difference between you and I is simply perspective.

What is the time limit being imposed on me for this challenge? I have a wife and three kids. And like most homeowners in Wisconsin, these first few warm weekends are used to tend to things that require attention around the house. In addition, my daughter's 1st birthday is on Monday, so I daresay I probably won't be able to devote much time to Talk Origins this weekend. And I haven't looked around the site but there certainly are a [censored] of links on that site map. So...

I'm willing to do this. It gives me a perfect $5000 excuse to increase the scope of my understanding on the issue.

I would like a written outline from you on the requirements for payoff though. Who knows this guy well enough to vouch for his ability to dish out $5k on an internet challenge?

EDIT: I just clicked a few of those links. There are entire BOOKS typed out on this site. This is quite an undertaking. However I see that they have Darwin's book "The Origin of Species" on there. I've been meaning to read that but couldnt justify putting $6.95 in someone's pocket for it.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Believe there is no evidence or it is impossible to support speciation through natural selection

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure there is no empirical evidence for speciation through natural selection

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure you're wrong.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Its arahant's 5 grand, though, so I'll let him decide. I had no idea he was wealthy enough to make this challenge.

[/ QUOTE ]

More than I need, less than I deserve [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Interested in helping? Is KUjustin a good guinea pig, ya think?

It was that 'brachiasourus' post from Inso that really got me going [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

Is KUJustin a good candidate? Not sure...you want to lose this bet or not? I wouldn't take KU's action, just because my general impression of his posting is that he is more intellectually honest than some. I don't know if that is good or bad, though, since I don't really know your motivation. If your goal is to spend 5k to convince someone of evolution, he is probably a good candidate. If your goal is to dangle 5k in an attempt to prove someone is a hack, I think you can find more fertile ground.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have to devour the entire Talk Origins website and regurgitate the talking points on demand?

http://www.talkorigins.org/origins/outline.html

I think to make this easier on both of us, all of the test questions would have to come from a page directly linked here.

I'm not afraid of the truth, if you can provide it.

Despite what you all may think of me, I do not make my statements due to idiocy or perhaps "blind faith in the almighty God, ALLELUIA AMEN!" In fact, I tested in the 99th percentile among my peers all my life. As I'm sure many of you did too, or you wouldn't spend your time browsing forums such as these. The difference between you and I is simply perspective.

What is the time limit being imposed on me for this challenge? I have a wife and three kids. And like most homeowners in Wisconsin, these first few warm weekends are used to tend to things that require attention around the house. In addition, my daughter's 1st birthday is on Monday, so I daresay I probably won't be able to devote much time to Talk Origins this weekend. And I haven't looked around the site but there certainly are a [censored] of links on that site map. So...

I'm willing to do this. It gives me a perfect $5000 excuse to increase the scope of my understanding on the issue.

I would like a written outline from you on the requirements for payoff though. Who knows this guy well enough to vouch for his ability to dish out $5k on an internet challenge?

EDIT: I just clicked a few of those links. There are entire BOOKS typed out on this site. This is quite an undertaking. However I see that they have Darwin's book "The Origin of Species" on there. I've been meaning to read that but couldnt justify putting $6.95 in someone's pocket for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny that you constantly distance yourself from the embarrassment that is your religious brethren, the creationists, and yet, when pushed, you consistently take a creationist position.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:16 AM

I do this because you'd like nothing more than to lump me in with the evangelical crackpots from the south who you see stock footage of any time someone wants to descredit Christianity.

You know the type. They start yelling and screaming and saying ALLELUIA whenever anyone says something that goes against what they hear from the pulpit every Sunday. They're usually not showered and have a terrible drawl sometimes to the point of not being able to understand wtf they're saying.

I have all my teeth, I avoid using double negatives in every day speech, and I can point out my own state on a map. I realize that this bothers you, but it is what it is.

I'm a creationist because I believe it to be the very best explanation of our universe. Not because God will smite me if I don't.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I do this because you'd like nothing more than to lump me in with the evangelical crackpots from the south who you see stock footage of any time someone wants to descredit Christianity.

You know the type. They start yelling and screaming and saying ALLELUIA whenever anyone says something that goes against what they hear from the pulpit every Sunday. They're usually not showered and have a terrible drawl sometimes to the point of not being able to understand wtf they're saying.

I have all my teeth, I avoid using double negatives in every day speech, and I can point out my own state on a map. I realize that this bothers you, but it is what it is.

I'm a creationist because I believe it to be the very best explanation of our universe. Not because God will smite me if I don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, but no one said anything about the universe. Do you believe it to be the best explanation for the creation of Earth, or the creation of life, or the creation of the diversity of life?
Old 05-25-2007, 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Ok, but no one said anything about the universe. Do you believe it to be the best explanation for the creation of Earth, or the creation of life, or the creation of the diversity of life?

[/ QUOTE ]

The universe and ALL that is contained within it.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The universe and ALL that is contained within it.

[/ QUOTE ]

But do you believe that there are processes at work in the universe, that work unattended, or do you believe that god pushes each atom around to their new assigned place?

luckyme