Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2006, 02:52 AM

Default Who Are The Most Overrated Poker Players? (and Why?)

My provisional list of overrated poker players:

1.) Evelyn Ng:
Does Ms. Ng really play the game? Man, I've not seen her cash or win or do anything in poker. Other than play in that six-woman invitational tourney, I can't recall her earning any of the fame she deserves. I'm not necessarily saying she stinks at poker, but just seemingly overrated and hyped...Any thoughts?

2.) Antonio Esfandiari:
Ok ok, I know I'm gonna hear it for this one, but I think he's slightly overrated. He played amazing in his WPT win a few years ago and has come out with a no-limit holdem cash game book recently, but I don't think of him as an elite player - either in cash games or tourneys. His style is very dangerous, as are most loose-aggressive types, but I think his fame/celeb status precedes him a bit more than his actual skill. Mostly, I just don't think he's proven himself consistently yet. I'd like to see him in five more years of poker play. Anyone can win at poker for a couple of years and start thinking they're one of the best. I just feel he's over-marketed for what he's done. The other thing that bothers me about him is his cockiness and to-the-extreme, self-indulgent lifestyle that he brags about to the poker media (but that's a whole other topic).

3.) Tuan Le
Again, I think this might draw some criticism, but I don't think Tuan is a good poker player. He's dangerous yes, but not good in my opinion. His all or nothing approach is one that may work well in the short run, but won't be successful in poker over many years. I just don't think he has a slow gear, nor does he accurately size up his opponent's hands for a risk vs. reward analysis. His aggression does not seem controlled or strategic, but rather a bull-dozer, run-you-over style. He's been successful yes, but I just think his skill is overrated. Nevertheless, I always think it's entertaining to watch him play.

In general, I just don't think these players have proven themselves over time (as many of the older pros have) and seem to have an enormous fan base and celeb status that does not match their true abilities.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:15 AM

Default Re: Who Are The Most Overrated Poker Players? (and Why?)

I concur with #1, Evelyn doesn't seem as good as what her publicist tells us
Old 09-09-2006, 03:16 AM

Daniel Negreanu
Scotty Nguyen
Phil Laak
Old 09-09-2006, 03:36 AM

1. Jeniffer Tily
2. James woods
3. Evelyn NG
4. Antonio Esfandiari
5. David Willaims
6. Annie Duke
Old 09-09-2006, 03:53 AM

I completely agree with Evelyn Ng, but strongly disagree with Antonio and Tuan. Both are excellent agressive players.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Jeniffer Tily--she's a better tournament player than she is probably credited for. Not elite, but good.
2. James woods--who rates him high?
3. Evelyn NG--agreed
4. Antonio Esfandiari--i used to think so and i don't care for the way he portrays himself and some of the stuff he says at the table, but his style works decent in tournaments and his cash game play on HSP was appropriately very different and i think fairly good.
5. David Willaims--agreed
6. Annie Duke--never seen her play in a cash game. she seems like a good tournament player but probably not elite. is she rated as elite?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-09-2006, 06:52 AM

Evelyn Ng- dont really even understand why she gets any attention.

daniel negreanu- ran really well, everyone though/thinks hes the best player in the world, has a huge following at his FCP site. obviously a very good player but i think he lacks the self control to succeed at the highest level.

eli elezra- he may not be very highly rated anyways but after watching hsp it seems to me like he would be a huge donator in the biggest cash games.

mike matusow- pretty much only when it comes to omaha8/b. for some reason everyone seems to believe he is the best o8 player in the world, but i really dont think its true.

sam farha- i think hes a big loser in cash games

this thread seems more fitting in the NVG forum.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

sam farha- i think hes a big loser in cash games

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that he is destroying every PLO-game..
Old 09-09-2006, 07:30 AM

David Williams:
I actually think he's pretty decent. His aggressive style is not that much different from Antonio or Tuan, who I mentioned earlier.

The reason I didn't list him is that I don't think he's overhyped, but instead is rated just about right. He's a very good player, but not an elite caliber player. He's definitely not as hyped as Antonio in my opinion...

Eli Elezra:
I don't think he's actually hyped up that much, so I don't feel he can be considered overrated. From what I know and have seen, he's a DOMINANT short-handed player - whether in tourneys or cash games. In ring games, however, he often plays too loose and without patience. His hand selection for ring games is pretty awful from what I've seen. But I think he's a capable player, who is always a threat in the Big Game at Bellagio (contrary to what ppl have posted about him). ...Again, though, his media persona/coverage is not that hyped...

back to Antonio:
I dunno....I'm a bit undecided about him. I never said he was a bad player, just that he was overrated. I think there are tons of loose aggressives like him out there, who can be VERY dangerous to win a tourney and then fizzle out a few years later. I just think the enormous proportion of media coverage a player like him can get is a bit out of line with what he's done and how good he is...Again, I'd like to see him five years from now.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:49 AM

Eli Elezra is the biggest donkey on high stakes poker.

Yeah buddy keep cold-calling 3-bets preflop with KJo out of position and check raising on Jxx boards so all worse hands fold and all better hands stack you.