Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2007, 10:54 AM

Default Somalia

Wow: http://www.mises.org/story/2701

Transcript of an absolutely amazing talk about Somalia that summarizes:
[*] How the economic situation in Somalia is not only greatly improved relative to its prior condition under a central governent, but is greatly improved relative to other African nations that still have central goverments[*] explains why democracy does not and cannot work in Africa, and why western-style central governent set up by the colonial powers all quickly devolved in brutal dictatorships, bloodbaths and genocide[*] Explains the ancient stateless Somali systems for the private, stateless production ofblaw and orer, including a ubiquitous legal code, the Xeer, private insurance, private courts, judges, etc. The legal code is entirely property-rights based and oriented towars compensating the victim.[*] How the ongoing strife is created by UN attempts toforce a central government on the Somalis, and how the phenomenon of "warlordism" occurs as groups jockey violently for position to take control of the proposed central government that the UN keeps telling them is just around the corner

This is one of the best articles I've read in a long, long time. The legal study was done by a Dutch lawyer who married into a Somali clan and studied their customs for 12 years. I'm ordering his book today. Also, Stringham's Anarchy and the Law.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:29 PM

Default Re: Somalia

So before when there were articles coming out describing how crappy Somalia was, Somalia wasn't considered a fair example of AC. But now that someone writes something positive, it is all of a sudden fair game? Sorry guys, but you can't have your cake and eat it too.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So before when there were articles coming out describing how crappy Somalia was, Somalia wasn't considered a fair example of AC. But now that someone writes something positive, it is all of a sudden fair game? Sorry guys, but you can't have your cake and eat it too.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, no matter how prosperous a stateless Somolia becomes, it can't ever serve as an example of how ACism is workable in the real world?
Old 09-12-2007, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So, no matter how prosperous a stateless Somolia becomes, it can't ever serve as an example of how ACism is workable in the real world?

[/ QUOTE ]

Can it serve as an example *right now*, or can't it? Pick one.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, Stringham's Anarchy and the Law.

[/ QUOTE ]

This book is quite good. I'll have to look into the book on Somali law...
Old 09-12-2007, 01:53 PM

Assuming the statistics in that article are accurate, it would seem that it certainly could serve as an example that anarchism could be good for a society. But why do I have to pick now? I don't think that there is enough information.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Assuming the statistics in that article are accurate, it would seem that it certainly could serve as an example that anarchism could be good for a society.

[/ QUOTE ]

But if they're not, and it's a terrible place to live, it can't?
Old 09-12-2007, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Assuming the statistics in that article are accurate, it would seem that it certainly could serve as an example that anarchism could be good for a society.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have evidence that the statistics in the article are fabricated? Please post such evidence; it would be of interest to me.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:59 PM

Would you move there?
Old 09-12-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have evidence that the statistics in the article are fabricated? Please post such evidence; it would be of interest to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not what I asked.