Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2007, 05:29 PM

Default Re: U.S. businesses accept pesos. Immigration hawks go nuts.

Please stop imputing racism to other people with no basis. I have pointed out several reasons for opposition to illegal immigration that have nothing to do with xenophobia or racism.

Is everyone who believes in anything less than completely open borders a racist? You'd probably cry foul if I accused you of hating poor people just because you're a capitalist, so don't pull the same garbage against other people.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:56 PM

But uh, taking offense that their currency has value in this country? That's pretty bad.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But uh, taking offense that their currency has value in this country? That's pretty bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

No his point is that the company is facillitating illegal immigration i.e. facillitating people breaking the law.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No his point is that the company is facillitating illegal immigration i.e. facillitating people breaking the law.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't go quite that far. What I'm saying is that this is a symptom of a very serious problem, rather than a very serious problem in and of itself.

I don't think that the fact that illegal immigrants can buy stuff with pesos in the US really increases the number of illegal immigrants.

But when businesses are accepting Mexican currency in their ordinary course of business, that indicates that illegal immigration has become pervasive.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't go quite that far. What I'm saying is that this is a symptom of a very serious problem, rather than a very serious problem in and of itself.

I don't think that the fact that illegal immigrants can buy stuff with pesos in the US really increases the number of illegal immigrants.

But when businesses are accepting Mexican currency in their ordinary course of business, that indicates that illegal immigration has become pervasive.

[/ QUOTE ]
Baseless assertion. I've yet to see anyone show that illegals make up any significant amount of the people using these pesos-acceptance services. So it's hard to take seriously the people protesting that they're not racist or xenophobic when they've never shown that "illegal aliens" are responsible for these types of programs.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Baseless assertion. I've yet to see anyone show that illegals make up any significant amount of the people using these pesos-acceptance services. So it's hard to take seriously the people protesting that they're not racist or xenophobic when they've never shown that "illegal aliens" are responsible for these types of programs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just assumed that people shopping for goods in the U.S. and paying for those goods with Mexican pesos got those pesos in Mexico. Maybe they went to their local bank and changed U.S. pesos for Mexican pesos then went to the store to buy goods in the U.S. with Mexican pesos. Doubt it though. I realize that it could be people in the country legally that came from Mexico. However, the operative word is facillitating. The definition of facilitate:

Facilitate Definition

To make easy or easier:

example: political agreements that facilitated troop withdrawals.

Nowhere did I claim that illegals are the majority of people using the Mexican pesos. What I am claiming is that having businesses except Mexican pesos as payment makes it easier for people from Mexico that enter the country illegally. I think the reason is obvious but maybe not.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Please stop imputing racism to other people with no basis. I have pointed out several reasons for opposition to illegal immigration that have nothing to do with xenophobia or racism.

Is everyone who believes in anything less than completely open borders a racist? You'd probably cry foul if I accused you of hating poor people just because you're a capitalist, so don't pull the same garbage against other people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, certainly they should sign the guestbook on the way in. Our ancestors did, though it was admittedly alot easier there. But lets not act like living in poverty and moving 4 feet north where you're noticably less poor is the worst crime ever.

Cody
Old 07-22-2007, 12:16 AM

Anyone making a big deal out of this needs to get a life---or at least travel to other parts of the world. It's STANDARD and there is nothing wrong with making a few extra bucks (not pesos) on the exchange rate either since our currency sucks right now.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No, the difference is that Canadians don't illegally immigrate into the US en masse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever wonder why?
Old 07-22-2007, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No, the difference is that Canadians don't illegally immigrate into the US en masse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever wonder why?

[/ QUOTE ]

legalized (or not illegal) weed [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]