Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 05:18 PM

Default Re: Black college football player caught on video raping girl

[ QUOTE ]
Here's a question for you: Do you think this event warrants national lead-story status? Is this more or less important to you than the Duke lacrosse team story.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think either story warrants huge attention. But given the tremendous amount of attention that the Duke story did receive, I think it's reasonable to ask why this story is not receiving as much attention, especially given that the charges appear to have much more merit.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is this posted in the politics forum? News != politics. And throwing in Jackson and Sharpton's name doesn't magically make it political.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, there was a huge thread on the Duke lacrosse case in here. So if that belonged in here, I don't see why this doesn't.

But more to the point, this belongs in this forum because it highlights the way that the media treats stories differently based on the race of the people involved. From the moment the Duke lacrosse story broke, the press was unabashed about invoking stereotypes of privileged white college students and white male oppression of black women. But in this case, when there is even more evidence that a rape actually occurred, why don't we see the press invoking stereotypes about black football players being rapists? I'm not saying that the press should be invoking stereotypes, I'm just pointing out the disparate coverage of two similar stories.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Here's a question for you: Do you think this event warrants national lead-story status? Is this more or less important to you than the Duke lacrosse team story.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think either story warrants huge attention. But given the tremendous amount of attention that the Duke story did receive, I think it's reasonable to ask why this story is not receiving as much attention, especially given that the charges appear to have much more merit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, that's easy. One story is fit to be turned into sensational consumer infotainment and one is not, at least in the eyes of the producers whose role is to make such assessments.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The police report suggests that she was aware during the initial gangbang. It also states that she left with one of the gangbangers in the morning.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are both strong legal and ethical arguments that a girl who has consumed 8 shots of vodka in a short period of time is not capable of consenting to sexual intercourse. There is a spectrum of drunkenness between slightly buzzed and completely unconscious. I think we can all agree that somewhere on that spectrum, even before completely unconscious, there is a point where intercourse should be illegal/immoral and that a girl who had 8 shots may have come close to that point.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:50 PM

So why was this story not front page news?

News stories get over/under reported/exploited for various reasons every day. Just cause you think there should be more outrage does not mean there is some sort of conspiracy to minimize non-whites involvement in crimes.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:52 PM

Dog bites man- not news.

Man bites dog - news.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:09 PM

I'm pretty curious as to what people think the justification is for covering specific crimes at all. I mean, we know what the REAL reason is ($$$$$), but what is the ostensible reason?

The idea that events like this are "cause for concern" is beyond absurd. IMO, you have to possess a brain-chip implant to believe that.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:14 PM

" college football player caught on video raping girl"

Dont quite see why you need to add "black" to that.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he was implying a double standard vs. the white lacrosse athletes that allegedly committed rape that was the Big News Story of the time.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he was implying a double standard vs. the white lacrosse athletes that allegedly committed rape that was the Big News Story of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK ty. Didnt read OP properly. That news story was pretty non-existent in UK
Closed Thread