Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2007, 12:42 AM

Default Are naked calls/puts insanely +EV? What am I missing here?

Etrade lets you see the the Theoretical Value of calls/puts for stocks. This theoretical value is based off the Black-Scholes formula. I assume they base it off the derivation of the formula that is used for American options. The thing is I plugged in a few stocks and it seems like the theoretical value of every call/put option is less than what the option is trading for. For example "QQQUP", a sept put option on nasdaq is trading at .58, and the theoretical value is .13. I understand naked calls/puts are insanely risky, but this seems like they are also ridiculously +EV. What am I missing here?
Old 08-17-2007, 12:49 AM

Default Re: Are naked calls/puts insanely +EV? What am I missing here?

[ QUOTE ]
Etrade lets you see the the Theoretical Value of calls/puts for stocks. This theoretical value is based off the Black-Scholes formula. I assume they base it off the derivation of the formula that is used for American options. The thing is I plugged in a few stocks and it seems like the theoretical value of every call/put option is less than what the option is trading for. For example "QQQUP", a sept put option on nasdaq is trading at .58, and the theoretical value is .13. I understand naked calls/puts are insanely risky, but this seems like they are also ridiculously +EV. What am I missing here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Experience? Logic?

I dunno, what aren't you missing?

J
Old 08-17-2007, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Experience? Logic?

I dunno, what aren't you missing?

J

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to elaborate?
Old 08-17-2007, 01:02 AM

I don't know anything about options but as a guess I'd say there are some aspects of the stock that would be impossible to compute mathmatically that are priced into the options.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know anything about options but as a guess I'd say there are some aspects of the stock that would be impossible to compute mathmatically that are priced into the options.

[/ QUOTE ]

The formula is only theoretical but I want to know why it's always pricing the options lower than they are trading for.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:12 AM

What you're missing is the theoretical value is based on the average volatility over the past 30 or 60 or something days. Does this market in the last few days seem like it's trading with the same volatiity as the last couple months?

They used to show the current volatility so you could see if the option was mis-priced, but they took that feature off the last time I looked.

There are options professionals that have software that continually looks for options mis-pricing opportunities.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:28 AM

Default You are missing unlimited risk

When you go long a call or a put your risk is limited to what you paid for the option.

When you are naked short either your risk is unlimited.

Unlimited market risk with your level of experience and understanding might not be a good idea.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:14 AM

Read "Fooled by Randomness", by Nassim Taleb or "the Black Swan". Look up Long Term Capital Management as well.

Basically the Black-Scholes formula doesn't describe the reality of risk taking.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:26 AM

the payoff profile of selling options is basically win win win win win win win win win win win LOSE HUUGGGEEE

you are earning a premium for selling coverage to those who want it.

aside from the fat that the B-S model is woefully deficient in pricing of these options, the payoff profile itself isn't very attractive.

Barron
Old 08-17-2007, 11:58 AM

My father just bought me a copy "Fooled by Randomness" because he read it randomly and thought I would like it. I didn't realize that other people had actually read the book and actually recommended it for financial reading.