Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should the state feed prisioners in jail?
No, they can make it with private charity 0 0%
yes, Im a jackbooted thug 10 100.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-14-2007, 06:18 PM

Default Re: Play a hand with me (NLTRN)

Is a Stop'n'Go an option? We would be betting 3x the pot on the flop, but could get many hands that dominate us to fold if/when they miss. We could also flop the best hand or a draw of course. I don't see villain calling a flop shove with ace hi or less here. Anyone think this is a viable option?
Old 11-14-2007, 06:19 PM

If you call with K6, what's your plan on a variety of flops, both hit and miss?

Being oop matters a whole lot more than how K-6 fares against top 50% hands.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:20 PM

The stop and go is not an option yet .

When you have around 6bb's to 9 bb's remaining , then a stop and go may be an option .
Old 11-14-2007, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone think this is a viable option?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it's viable, I just don't think we're *quite* that desparate yet. And for sure I don't flat-call unless I plan to bet/push a wide range of flops.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you call with K6, what's your plan on a variety of flops, both hit and miss?

Being oop matters a whole lot more than how K-6 fares against top 50% hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not advocating that it's necessarily a call but I believe against opponents who c-bet close to 100% of the time , or opponents who play a raise or fold strategy ,then a skillful player may be able to call a small raise with k-6 .

If an opponent c-bets 100% of the time , then you can profitably call if a 6 or a king hits . In fact , you are likely to win more money postflop against players of this type .

As an aside , I've been noticing that I do better calling with these types of hands from the BB than I do folding them .
Old 11-14-2007, 06:54 PM

The problem is that by playing exactly 4 hands this session, we know nothing about our opponent. All we know is that he raised us just now. If he bets we are dropping. Is there a chance that he will call us with JT? I am willing to bet it. The problem with the pokerstove analysis is that we are not extracting any value from the worse hands. Shoving and getting called by JT is more ev than calling now and hoping to hit that king 33% of the time, and check-raising. The values aren't even close.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:14 PM

Also...

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not advocating that it's necessarily a call but I believe against opponents who c-bet close to 100% of the time , or opponents who play a raise or fold strategy

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't believe either of these things was actually true, so I tried to go back through the history for this game so far.

We simply don't have any clue how often this opponent is going to cbet. He's only actually *had* 1 opportunity, unless I missed something in my scan back through the played hands.

And we *know* he doesn't just play raise-or-fold, because he's limped his button a fair number of times. Which would seem to indicate that K6 is even worse off, because many of the hands we're ahead of, he might have limped anyway.

If you're going to tailor actions to opponent strategies, wouldn't it be a prerequisite for the opponent to actually be following those strategies?
Old 11-14-2007, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you're going to tailor actions to opponent strategies, wouldn't it be a prerequisite for the opponent to actually be following those strategies?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree .

I just hope that players don't read the popular vote and think that it's "always" the right play for any opponent . You'd be surprised , but there are players who follow some of the moves that high stakes players use thinking that it should work on anyone .
Old 11-14-2007, 08:55 PM

So can I re-read your comments as something along the lines of:

"You should consider calling K6 here for reasons that are probably completely irrelevant in *this particular* situation"?

Or should I have just automatically have been able to come to the conclusion that you were talking in generalities, while everybody else is discussing a particular hand in a particular situation with a given history?

============
To everybody else:

I promise not to turn this thread into another flamefest, or make any comment on this particular tangent beyond this one.

I just wanted to point out yet another example of why a particular poster can be so utterly infuriating sometimes.

:/
Old 11-14-2007, 08:59 PM

Tnixon , please don't start this again .