Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2007, 06:55 PM

Default Re: 2 thin preflop iso plays

Yeah I really hate preflop isolation plays when you are trying to isolate a limper. In this case you are in early position which makes it even worse.

The reason I hate preflop isolation play with a limper is because good players will recognize what you are trying to do, and bad players are obviously coming along for the ride anyway. Now with a hand like KTs or 66, you would really like to be playing against a big field (66 either heads up OR a big field obv). So by raising in a pretty decent game you will be left with probably 3-4 players or so, which I think is probably the worst scenario for 66 or KcTc.

So this babbling I'm doing results in limp along for both.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:23 AM

Basically what I thought, I did raise on both hands...I immediately regretted it, no big hands as a result or anything, but definately preflop spewing.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Live 15/30 game in LA. I'm UTG+1 with K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG is a weak spot in the game. His range seems to be all offsuit Aces up to AT, all suited aces up to AT, K9o+, K9s+, 22-99, QT, JT...
I've also been chatting it up with him, so he is very unlikely to bluff me or peel lightly.

UTG limps, I raise?

2. Same game. This time old asian man limps UTG, I have 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ...I raise?

This villain is basically playing his cards face up, he also has a tendency not to peel flops like some of the other loose/horrible live players do.

What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

The high card value of KT does not make you a big favorite. Suited hands want multi-way pots. Don't isolate. Limp or fold. This is a decent hand when you can get in cheap in a 4 or 5 way pot. It is not a good hand for two bets in a 2 or 3 way pot (except as a late position raiser vs the blinds).
Old 04-28-2007, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
as far as the second hand 66 is pretty weak. There's a lot of cards that could ruin you and you really only have 2 case 6's that would improve your hand. I would either see a cheap flop by limping or checking, but if someone else raises let them go

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait a second, are you saying to limp with 66 but then fold if it gets raised behind you? That's pretty funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

It looks to me like he thought we were playing NL.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:45 PM

Both are too thin, unless game is playing super tight.

I would normally isolate with 66 in LP. I would probably isolate with K/T suited on the button/CO.