Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Would you have made that call?
No, but I still want to kill myself 27 57.45%
Yes, and now I want to kill myself 20 42.55%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-18-2007, 12:48 PM

Default How good is Tim Duncan?

As a player historically, that is (not just at his position). I've been having a debate on another thread, so thought I would see where everyone here would place him among some all time greats:
Old 05-18-2007, 12:58 PM

Default Re: How good is Tim Duncan?

In terms of what? Player greatness? Value? Ability? Numbers?

He is behind Jordan and Magic and ahead of Malone, Barkley and KG. Duncan vs. Bird is an interesting debate that we did a little while ago.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:05 PM

Player greatness, I suppose, since it can be argued (not that I neccesarily agree) that Center/Forward types are inherently more valuable than Gaurd/SF types.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:38 PM

Go look at KG's numbers (I remember we discussed it here once). KG vs. TD is pretty damn close.

-Al
Old 05-18-2007, 01:40 PM

Yeah, I had him better than Malone, Barkley, and KG, but I think Barkley and KG are closer to a push.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Go look at KG's numbers (I remember we discussed it here once). KG vs. TD is pretty damn close.

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think if you put KG in TD's place you get the exact same results. Do you think KG's poor results are just a result of where he's been playing? I know the SA front office is much better than the Minnesota, but I also think TD is a better overall player. Yes KG has sicker stats, but I'd more then willing to put my team on TD's shoulders in the playoffs and less willing to put on KG's, atleast from what I've seen in the past. KG is 1 sick NBA player, I just think the big fundamental is better suited to winning by his playing style.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:51 PM

Capone - oh I think TD is clearly someone I'd prefer to have on my team, I don't even like KG.

Back when we discussed this, I think it was MWII who hit upon a good point that Duncan is just, overall, a much more efficient player and that style is suited to winning games (vs. KG who goes all out and doesn't really pick and choose his spots well, which may, in the end calculus, overall hurt his team's chance of winning).

That's obviously subjective though... I was just pointing out that KG's numbers are incredibly sick.

-Al
Old 05-18-2007, 01:56 PM

The one good squad KG played on (w/ Cassell and Spree), KG was pretty sick in the playoffs.

I still would bet on Duncan in the playoffs though. I tend to agree with Simmons on both players. Duncan is absolutely sick, but it's a shame we've never seen KG with a great franchise so we could really see what the guy could do.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Sports Guy wrote this week that in 15 years, some stats guy will run the #'s and conclude that KG > TD, and he will be wrong. looks like he underestimated it by a few years [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-18-2007, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Sports Guy wrote this week that in 15 years, some stats guy will run the #'s and conclude that KG > TD, and he will be wrong. looks like he underestimated it by a few years [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha actually True Hoop references this.

I think a big part of Duncan > KG is part of the efficiency thing MWII mentioned. He's just an incredibly smart player, you never see him doing something stupid, and he always seems in control. I can't stand him but I would absolutely trust him in any situation on the court.

-Al