Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 02:57 AM

Default 5 card stud/sökö

I think this is the right place to post about 5 card stud. Tell me if I'm wrong.

I was reading an example from a book the other day. It involved one player getting open kings on third street. I started wondering how you should bet with open kings against two undercards (no limit).

3rd street
----------

you: (x)-K-K
opponent: (y)-T-J

I'm just going to assume that you make the same sized bet no matter what your downcard is. If you bet more than 20 % of the pot size, your opponent should fold quickly, since he's clearly not getting the odds to call. If you bet less than 10 % of the pot size, I think your opponent gets the implied odds to call with some hands unless he plays suboptimal on the latter betting rounds.

The hands that your opponent should consider calling with are:

A-T-J
J-T-J
T-T-J

I'm going to assume that you were in a steal-position, so you could have any downcard. I'll just assume that your opponent would have raised if he started with a decent pair, so he can't have T as his downcard.

If your opponent started with A-T-J, he has three outs to beat your open kings and six outs to bluff with. If he has J-T-J, he has five outs to make two pairs/trips and three bluffing outs. He should be careful about bluffing too much, though. Because of this, I assume that he should call less frequently with A as his downcard than with J as downcard.

I have not been able to determine what's the minimum sized bet you should make with the open kings (your object is to give your opponent incorrect odds to call with any hand).

You can initially assume that both players will play close to game theoretical correctly on the subsequent streets. I suppose that in a real game, you would just make a relatively big bet, and hope that your opponent likes to gamble (but maybe bet a little less if your downcard is a king).

Any opinions on bet sizes and fourth street play (when your opponent catches a scare card)?
Old 07-30-2007, 08:29 AM

Default Post deleted by Ryan Beal

Old 07-30-2007, 08:31 AM

Default Re: 5 card stud/sökö

massive deposit bonus?

BAN!
Old 08-01-2007, 08:32 PM

Default Re: 5 card stud/sökö

I do not understand the previous two responses to this post. However, I am not clear whether you are playing soko or wish to know what to do in either five stud or soko. Unfortunately, I do not play those games no limit so would not hazard a guess but I am pleased to see a five stud/soko post that is serious in intent and just not a request for resources.