Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2007, 11:50 AM

Default Re: HAL LUBARSKY. BLIND MAN TO GO ALL THE WAY

I can't believe some of you are worried about the card reader violating the one player per hand rule. It's not like Phil Ivey is his assistant (although that would be a funny mspaint). If the guy were good enough at cards to coach a blind guy through the main event don't you think he would be playing the event himself?
Old 07-13-2007, 12:02 PM

I believe he does a little more than just read the board. For example, someone in a previous thread said that he was describing the people around him and described the 2+2r as "Avalanche" because of his large stack of chips. Now, I know that is just an objective description, but what if he said, "Seat 4 is playing weak, tight" or some other comment that is more subjective? Would that be allowed?

I am for letting the guy play because (1) it is likely required by law, (2) the right thing to do, and (3) the guy has been a regular for years in Vegas (it isn't as if this is some publicity ploy). But, the idea that the whisperer be someone he doesn't know sounds reasonable if that person is only supposed to be giving objective information like reading the board.

An interesting side note ... we have a person in our monthly tournament who is losing his sight. We read him the board. I was talking to him the other day about tells, and he is aware of how he asks what the board is may let us know the strength of his hand. He tells me he sometimes asks for information that he already knows/remembers so as to throw us off.

NCAces
Old 07-13-2007, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How about they just record what the reader says?

"The guy in seat 2 is named Mike, he folded." okay
"Mike scrunched his eyebrows when the flop came out." okay
"Mike's probably got you beat." no.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jack....I hope you are kidding.
I would love to be able to enter a tourney and have someone concentrate on player reaction while I crunch numbers. Tell ya what. I'll play you heads up with my eyes closed the whole time but I get to have someone whispering to me the whole time following your rules of what is OK and what is not.
Sound good?
Old 07-13-2007, 12:17 PM

I heard he has a small group of supporters known as the braille-birds.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:22 PM

Crunch numbers? What the hell are you talking about? (If poker math is that hard for you I'm gonna suggest no 10k buyin tourneys.) This is ridiculous, the blind guy is still at a disadvantage, obviously the card reading person isn't going to offer as much information as someone with his experience would be able to see. I honestly don't know what the hell is wrong with you guys, thinking he has some enormous advantage by being blind. If it's so great, go stab your eyes out and get the monies.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just saying that rules are rules - there shouldn't be exceptions. This was done to make Harrah's look better and for ESPN to have a nice story for TV. At least the guy with no arms was actually playing his cards without any assistance (except from the dealer moving chips in and out of the pot). I'm not saying he's cheating or that he would.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.. NO, this one done because he has every legal right to play.

To those that have played with him, how and when is his partner relaying info. Ex. He tells him his hole cards, and then what? I'm just wondering if he just whispered the hole cards and everthing else was verbal enough for everyone else to hear (action, stack sizes, etc.) or if he whispered that info as well.

Do you guys really think he is getting MORE information by having his assistant there? Are you kidding me? He is getting at least 10x LESS info.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:39 PM

From the WSOP Rules....
The one-player-to-a-hand rule will be compulsory.

Someone PLEASE tell me how this guy is not violating this rule. I don't give a rats ass about his personal situation. I could come with 100 other situations that would make it impossible for someone to play without violating this rule. Does that mean they should all be permitted to play too just because they have the 10k? Having the buy-in is only a PART of the requirement to play in this event. The other is being able to play the game with no assistance.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:41 PM

Braille cards!!??
...and the dealer announcing the board and the bets?

Damn...
...braille chips??
Old 07-13-2007, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Final proof that live tells are indeed overrated??

[/ QUOTE ]

Even though he cant see there are still plenty of tells for him to "see" so to speak.
He may actualy have an advantage in reading people's voice inflections,pacing, speech patterns etc... as I am assuming he would be more in tune with that. Would it be possible to play against him stating you are mute so you dont have to speak so he cant pick up on it? MAybe the Humberto thumbs up sign to raise then slide chips in silently.

And my two cents I would rather sit with the guy who plays with his feet than that smelly British guy or some fat bastard who stinks like ass and takes up 3 seats with half his gut hanging over your lap.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:44 PM

Couldn't this guy fake being blind and have somebody help him out with his hand? Or did he have to show medical documentation to prove that he was blind?