Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2007, 08:04 PM

Default Push Semi-bluff Flush Draw into PFR who C/R Flop

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($32.75)
MP ($25)
Hero ($26.80)
Button ($33.90)
SB ($27.40)
BB ($16.30)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $1, Button calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $0.75.

Flop: ($4.10) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3.9</font>, Button folds, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $7.8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $25.8 </font>

Is cold calling preflop bad, I knew there was a decent chance I would be dominated by UTG and was going to tread carefully if he I hit top pair..

What about the flop bet and push into the checkraise? I put him on an overpair when he check/raised. I figured I had a lot of fold equity vs. 99-AA and that I was a favorite over 99-jj. He was thinking player, and I was trying to represent a set.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:24 PM

Default Re: Push Semi-bluff Flush Draw into PFR who C/R Flop

I don't think he's going to fold after a c/minraise, your bet probably folds the hands you want him to call with, I'd call and hope for another fancy attempt to c/r and stack him when I hit.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:28 PM

PF call is OK from CO in 6max. You could 3bet or even fold(!)depending on table dynamics.

UTG is saying I have a big PP. He could have overpair, a set, or less likely a draw/combo draw or bluff.

Fold equity is = to % of time you are putting him on a bluff. All other cases he will insta-call even with a draw because of pot odds. Who folds an overpair with those odds in 25NL becuz they're scared of a set? No one.

I suppose you maximize equity by pushing here, rather than calling. But you also increase your bankroll volatility. I usually play flush draws slower instead of faster because I am more interested in reducing volatility rather than maximizing equity. So I play for smaller pots when I am behind and bigger pots when I am ahead. Depends on your long-term strategy.

Nothing wrong with leading out into this flop, but you could also check-call or check-raise the flop depending on the action behind you. Getting a free card is not a bad thing here.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:09 PM

I think leading the flop is super standard, and both 3betAI and call the c/r are +EV. I think I like just calling tho, bc he may check again, and you get to get away from your hand if blanks hit. Essentially if the spade hits you will almost always get his stack, and if it doesnt you wont always get stacked.

So i think i just call.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am more interested in reducing volatility rather than maximizing equity.

[/ QUOTE ]

In poker we don't have to worry about our investors pitching a fit over the volatility. Yes, downswings are painful. Having a 5k hand breakeven stretch consisting of huge up and down swings is maddening. Yet, you must get used to these. Poker, especially cash games, is entirely about taking the course of action that maximizes your returns in the long run. This kind of thinking is what results in the type of player who runs at 5PTBB/100 and stands constantly baffled as to why they don't have the same winrate as the other players running at almost twice that.

Embrace the variance.

OP, push it in on the flop since you are seeing 99-JJ and a whiffed AK enough times here to make it profitable.